What's the appeal of Dr House rudeness?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by wynn, Jan 30, 2011.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

What's the appeal of a gratuitous rudeness a la Dr House?

Why are people like that?

What do they try to accomplish with it?

Why not simply deliver their insights in an analytical, productive manner?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I think the show is boring, not appealing. People seem to think it's clever that the doctors in that show are so boorish, especially the main character, but I find it stupid. The personal lives of the characters are pathetic.

"Poor me, I became a physician even though I hate people in general... why ever am I so unhappy???" Wow, talk about depth.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I agree but when it first began it was different enough to capture many viewers. Today it seems that it has become very stale and predictable because the writing hasn't changed that much with the characters. They could do better but they seem to be caught up with the same ol'same ol' until the show eventually dies off.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rav Valued Senior Member

Dr House is a cynical and arguably miserable character for the most part. But he is interesting because he is also a genius with an obsession for uncovering truth. I think that he's a highly enjoyable character to watch firstly because of his bitingly witty back and fourth between his colleagues and patients and also because it's never actually clear whether or not there's an essentially decent and caring person underneath it all. We want to believe that there is, but all we really have is an intriguing mystery. In the end he gets away with it all simply because of how brilliant he is.

But this is TV. I'm not sure how well I can relate it to real life. But to answer one of your questions, there's really no good reason why such people can't deliver their insights in an analytical, productive manner.

8. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Are his insights not productive? I thought it usually saves the patient-of-the-weeks' life.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

True, after pissing almost everyone else off that works around him and the patient at times as well.

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Interesting, I haven't thought of that.
    There is an episode in a late season where he says to Cuddy "I am the most fucked up person in the world" or something to that effect.
    Characters who are in one way or another crippled hold an interest for many people, perhaps because the whole phenomenon of being crippled in some way automatically implies there will be a struggle to overcome it - and this is something many people can relate to.

There are people who are like that.
    If nowhere else, you can find some of such behavior online.

But why the gratuitous rudeness?

"Give me the keys"
    vs.
    "Give me the f***ing keys"
    - where's the difference?

Is the rudeness simply a way to emotionally pressure others into compliance?

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Yes, the rudeness seems counterproductive.

There is that cliche about the American army - the rude officer in charge who calls his subordinates names and swears a lot.
    What is the purpose of such gratuitous rudeness?

One explanation I've heard that it is supposed make the soldiers less susceptible to rudeness and to emotions in general (which is an advantage for a soldier), and also to weed out those who are too weak for the job of a soldier (who would be a liability due to emotional vulnerability).
    (I don't know though whether real soldiers are like that or to what extent; or whether this was first a cliche that developed in literature/film, and was then transplanted into real life.)

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Because its a weakness, a projection of the pain he feels due to his leg not healing properly. If he was just a smartass, it wouldn't be attractive, but he is an intelligent SOB who gets results, with a reason to lash out

But yeah, I agree with you, it gets old really fast

13. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

I hate House. I don't understand what people see in him. However my cousin and his fiance are huge fans, he says that they find Dr. House witty and sarcastic, while they agree with me that he is obnoxious they think it's funny. I think it's... well just obnoxious.

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Remember the movie Falling down? The main character goes into McDonald's and orders breakfast but is told he can't have breakfast because it's 1031 and breakfast is only served until 10:30. So the guy pulls out a machine gun from his bag of guns and demands some decent service.

His behavior, while unreasonable and even criminal, reaches a primitive part of ourselves, a part that wants to punch the smug clerk at the DMV in the face and keep punching until he decides to treat us like a person. A part that doesn't want to stand in line, or be polite to assholes, or even put the toilet seat down!

Consider this recent craze regarding Vampires. What is a Vampire, but a guy who doesn't have to follow any of the rules? He stays out all night, sleeps all day, is superstrong and superfast, and never gets old.

Perhaps it's our Id. Our inner caveman, or our inner child. Whatever you choose to call it, everyone has a part of them that doesn't want to follow social conventions and just wants what it wants and damn the consequences. When we give into it, we generally get into trouble. So watching someone else act out our darker desires (even in fiction) provides some level of catharsis.

House fits that mold. He's a complete asshole with no regard for anyone but himself, which is something that some small part of us would like to be.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  15. WillNever Valued Senior Member

House is just a dickwad who still lives within the bounds of society, so he's not as cool as vampires.

16. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

he gets away with it cause he is the boss..

if he was just an employee he would be fired so quick,no matter how smart he is..

17. Rav Valued Senior Member

He is an employee, of the hospital, under Cuddy, and she's indicated numerous times that he would have been fired long ago if he wasn't the best diagnostician the hospital could hope to have. But she also loves him.

18. wellwisher Banned Banned

I used to have a boss who liked to swear and be crude as part of his normal conversation. He was the only person I know, who could be crude in front of the females and they would just shake their head or roll their eyes, without feeling violated. He had so many awards, but he kept them all in boxes in his garage. To meet him, nobody would know, unless others told you about his accomplishments. He maintained his humility by being vulgar. If he had been prim and proper, he would be hard to approach due to his brilliance. But by being funny and even vulgar, he was just an average funny guy (A(brilliant)-B (crude)=C(average guy).

If House was a nice and proper gentlemen, everyone would need to put him on a pedestal. But being being rude, he knocks himself down off that pedestal. Those who can see beyond the surface of things, understands where he belongs, so they ignore his rantings and looks for his council. But if one judges by the surface, then proper and nice without talent is better would appear better.

19. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

This is the most interesting analysis I have seen in a long time! Thanks.

Maintaining one's humility by being vulgar - do you think this is due to a deliberate choice, or is it a character trait that developed without the person explicitly planning for it?

20. birch Valued Senior Member

i don't understand the incredulity of this type of character. there are a lot of people like this or really mean. rudeness is pretty much the norm and kindness or people who are considerate, fair to everyone and use manners consistently is not in general society.

the thing with house is his character is more "sarcastic" than it is really rude or mean. but his sarcasm is portrayed with some level of comedy and self-effacement and there is a limit to his so-called rudeness or sarcasm. you see that he also tries to make up for it in his own way which gives the hint that he's not as bad as he tries to portray or push people away and that it's a front. if it wasn't, then it would be just too ugly. it seems it's more of a defense mechanism and his pessimism more from his belief that he's being more realistic and facing the truth which is why people tend to feel sorry for him a bit or tolerate him on a personal level rather than the type who actually enjoys and gets pleasure from hurting people. but in real life, heh, there are people who are like this who don't use the buffer of self-frustration. they just really are assholes.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  21. superstring01 Moderator

It's his cutting intelligence, wit and attitude that some people envy. He says what he wants to anybody. See, for all the negative comments listed above, TV shows are un-entertaining when everybody gets along or is nice. House is both protagonist and antagonist, which makes for excellent drama. It was original when it was created and, still, occasionally floats an original storyline. That said, after seven-ish years, I think we're reaching the end of the line in what can be done within this show and my guess is that FOX will bring it to a close at the end of this, or next year.

~String

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats usually considered naivety. Its one of the predominant characteristics of those who are mentally challenged - the inability to filter speech.

23. birch Valued Senior Member

people say whatever they want all the time. cloaking it in a 'nice' way doesn't necessarily mean it's true either. that's what con-artists do all the time to fool people as well as marketing/advertising.

it's just as naive to not be able to filter another's speech and get hung up on the manner it was delivered. most people learn this in the workplace. for instance, one's boss may be an asshole but sometimes you have to strictly consider what is being said and not the way it's being said. it's a case by case basis.

the point of house's character is that he does have faults but sometimes he is right and when he is right, that should not be ignored or missed because of his other characteristics. that is not to "excuse" character faults or wrongdoings as they also need to be addressed as well.