Solipsism:Insanity

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Sick, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Sick Banned Banned

Could solipsism possibly lead to insanity? And how would you define insanity?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Maybe, if somebody really believed it. I'm not convinced that anyone actually does. But I'd probably be more inclined to say that it would be a symptom of a preexisting psychosis.

For those who don't know, 'solipsism' names the situation when somebody believes that nothing exists except their own mind and the creations of their own mind.

I think that its philosophical interest consists in the fact that many of modern philosophy's more popular theories seem to implicitly suggest solipsistic conclusions.

It's interesting to watch how partisans of theories attempt to avoid the solipsistic implications and to observe whether or not their violent intellectual contortions are consistent with their theory's original assumptions.

Put another way, I see solipsism as representing kind of a logical reductio-ad-absurdem of certain lines of theoretical speculation.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Search this forum for "solipsism" and "solipsistic" in the thread title, and you will make many finds.
    The topic is kind of standard around here.

They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over agian, yet expecting to get a different result.

Interstingly, though, even if one does the same thing over and over again, one in fact does get a different result, everyday practice shows this.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Agreed.
    As far as my casual observations go and from what I read, people with psychiatric conditions seem to exhibit extreme philosophical positions (solipsism, nihilism).
    But so do some other people (like some university professors).
    The difference between these two groups seem to be that the psychiatric patients seem to be more consistent.

A popular theory in psychology maintains that infants are extreme egoists, thinking that they are all there is and that they are the ones making things happen.
    I haven't yet heard the term "solipsism" mentioned in this connection, though.

Yes, yes.
    A term much more used than the damned "solipsism" is "epistemic autonomy", and while "espistemic autonomy" doesn't cover everything "solipsism" does, it captures an essential philosophical and practical problem.

8. Emil Valued Senior Member

Solipsism syndrome
    Who knows? Or vice-versa can be true?Could possibly insanity lead to solipsism?
    But how about determinism so lack of free will?
    At a court if the defendant can demonstrate that he can not choose,he is not convicted.
    Can we go on this line: -lack of choice, so no free will, so determinism?
    But those who believe in Santa Claus, or in God?
    This is an easy question, all those who disagree with me.

9. dbnp48 Q.E.D. Registered Senior Member

dsm iv

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  10. Rav Valued Senior Member

Solipsism routinely leads me to insanity by virtue of the fact that it is impossible to logically falsify. The best argument that I have come up with so far relates to the fact that I routinely encounter things in the world that are, at least initially, impossible for me to understand. So I evaluate all of the information at hand and eventually that understanding comes. But if reality is nothing more than a creation of my own mind, shouldn't I be able to instantly comprehend? But one could of course argue that the world in which I seem to consciously exist is a product of my unconscious mind. That would mean that in respect to the world that my unconscious mind has created (or the illusion of such) I am omnipotent, albeit unaware of the fact. All of the complex physical theories and mathematical models of reality that have ever been created already exist somewhere deep within. In fact there could be a complete and accurate model of the entire physical universe (or what I think is the physical universe) in there somewhere which would explain how other people (or what I think are other people) are able to apparently discover new things about it (which I can then consciously learn of). And here's the real kicker. I could even be God. Perhaps a God who has been around for so long and has become so existentially distraught that he has created a new reality for himself within which things seem new and fresh again and within which he doesn't feel alone. A God who has hidden his omnipotence away from himself in what we call the subconscious mind. I mean seriously, you can actually look insanity right in the face if you think about this too much. Drive yourself right off the deep end. And if you actually believed it, you'd be there.

In this context I think we can define insanity as the absence of an innate sense of external reality. I am thankful that I have one.

11. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Excellent point Yazata.

The OP is grossly misusing the term.

Solipsism is an epistemological approach and not, as you've noted, a state of belief....

12. Sick Banned Banned

I'm a 'True' Solipsist

Solipsism seems rare and it seems as if no one really has this belief. I have heard people pondering on the idea that only one consciousness could exist, but I have never met anyone who has a strong belief in it like me.

It really doesn't matter how it all started, a wide variety of of things triggered these thoughts I have been experiencing for about 3 years now. I strongly believe that consciousness is simply perceiving and experiencing the life around you and since you are only perceiving life through your own body, other bodies are not conscious. I have other reasons for my belief some of them are honestly so complex in thought... it's hard to find the words to explain it. I can tell you that solipsism(at least my solipsism) brings in a lot of symptoms. I lack empathy, lack shame, risk taking is extremal high, rarely socialize, and many other symptoms. These symptoms mostly come from the fact that I dont believe others exist, so shame and empathy lose all value. The symptoms are greatly increased with the use of drugs but drugs are defiantly not the cause of them. I also find myself constantly depressed and constantly craving any mind altering substance to get me out of the mind state I'm in. This could be caused by the social deprivation I experience due to my belief.

I'd also like to point out that I believe in God, I dont believe I myself am God.

If anyone has any questions about my belief I would be happy to answer them.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading.

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

What makes you think we might be interested in questioning you about your beliefs?

14. dbnp48 Q.E.D. Registered Senior Member

Solipsism is the philosophical idea that one's own mind is all that exists. Solipsism is an epistemological or ontological position that knowledge of anything outside one's own specific mind is unjustified. The external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsist

If, as you stated, you believe only your mind exists, why are you asking our opinion?

15. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Then you're not a 'true' solipsist...

Try again.