Welcome Home, Carlina White

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tiassa, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Welcome Home, Carlina White
    Sure, you're late for dinner, but I don't think anyone minds

We hear the chilling suggestion on any television crime drama. After twenty-four hours, a missing child is likely dead. It is so hard to find them.

Dateline: New York, August, 1987. Carlina White, all of nineteen days old, disappeared from a local hospital after her mother brought her in for a fever. Across the nation, we heard the anguished plea: "Just give me my baby back, please! I want her back now. I just want her back."

On Wednesday, over twenty-three years after baby Carlina disappeared, Joy White's daughter came home.

On Jan. 4, a woman known as Nejdra Nance, who was raised in Bridgeport, Conn., and now lives in Atlanta, contacted White, sending along baby photos that looked nearly identical to shots of Carlina posted on a missing children's website. Nance told White she thought she may be her daughter.

Nance had never been able to find her birth certificate.

"She said she just had a feeling, she felt different from the people raising her," said Nance's maternal grandmother, Elizabeth White, 71. "She searched, and then she found Joy."

Joy White contacted the New York Police Department to see if it could help investigate whether the woman was really Carlina White.

"It sounded legitimate and credible, so I had missing persons reach out to her," said Detective Martin Brown, who fielded the call. DNA tests performed on Joy White, her ex-husband, Carl Tyson, and 23-year-old Nance matched, police said. Nejdra Nance was Carlina White.

(CBS News)

It's a long time to wait for a happy ending.

Welcome home, Carlina White.

Notes:

CBS News. "Kidnapped as Newborn, Woman, 23, Finds Family". The Early Show. January 20, 2011. CBSNews.com. January 21, 2011. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/20/earlyshow/main7264842.shtml

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

That's a very moving, and touching story...Glad for all concerned..

But, on a lighter note...I wonder if Carlina is going to sue for all that back allowance?...Should be a nice chunk of change, after all these years.. Plus the interest.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

it helps to see the good news..
    bad news tends to saturate the market..

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

????

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The obvious question

Does something confuse you?

9. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I think Arthur is saying that he doesn't understand why the culprits haven't been arrested yet.

Could be the statute of limitations, unless that doesn't apply to kidnapping. :shrug:

Anyhow, I also am glad that one of those 'stolen children' stories has a good ending.

10. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

maybe it's already time barred? 23 years..

anyway, that's a nice story. But nobody will be able to give back those 23 years that the family couldn't spend together, and that sucks. But glad to see that she wasn't one of those children that was murdered..

11. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Exactly, since the article didn't say and there is no statute of limitations for Kidnapping in NY (or anywhere I suspect) ...

Now however:

But they have yet to charge her with Kidnapping, which is probably because getting actual evidence to prove that after 23 years could be difficult.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_..._excon_fed_lies_to_stolen_tot_dad.html?r=news

Arthur

12. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Agreed...but still possible. She does rate getting busted for the crime, for sure.