Biased Tendencies

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by serenesam, Jan 21, 2011.

1. serenesam Registered Senior Member

Some people claim that they look at both sides to an issue. Is this even possible? We know for sure that in a courtroom, you don’t just want one judge because even if he/she thinks or believes he/she is fair and objective, that may still not be the case. We also know based on numerous studies that even a jury of 12 can be unfair and biased too. So I propose a question to you all, “Is it possible for a human being to be fair and objective?”

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Yes it is. And fairly and objectively, you might have to go away now.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. serenesam Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

One can simply aske themselves:

Is it possible for me to be fair and objective?

And then they will have the answer.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well that's a loaded question because it really depends upon many factors. I do not think that all humans can ever achieve that high of a moral standing because where they live and what they are influenced by makes them susceptible to outside influences that they either can't see or don't understand. As an example it would be difficult for an Arab that lives in Iran to be asked to decide what a Christian , that has committed a infraction of the Arabic law, to give a unbiased opinion of the way the Christan should be judged since the Christian doesn't know the Arabic laws nor didn't realize they committed a unlawful act. If a person is taught that wife beating is OK but moves to a land where its not permitted could they be treated fairly and objectivly by those they are now living with?

9. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

possible, yes, probable, pry not..
    to be truly objective and fair one must not be able to judge,but whenever it is asked of us to be truly objective and fair, it is to judge, the act of judgeing negates any objectivity.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

If they don't have a dog in the fight - yes.

Could I be fair and objective over which power amplifier design to use in a wireless power transmission application? Yes; indeed, my value as an engineer is determined by how fair (and how thorough) I can be in making that decision.

Could I be fair and objective over a decision over whether a company has the right to level my house to build a freeway exit ramp? Probably not.

11. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

The terms 'fair and objective' are not absolutes. They are purely relative. So the question really is : can a person be relatively fair and objective.

The answer is, sure, but most people cannot.

12. Spectrum Registered Senior Member

Bias is significant in nature. Even in genetics where there are two genes controlling one trait, there are still dominants and recessives.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Sometimes I cannot decide between 2 opposing choices - essentially I am then unable to agree with myself on that issue. It then comes as no great surprise that even a group of well-intentioned folks who desire to be fair in making a decision fail to do so.

14. Emil Valued Senior Member

Many have searched and have not found the absolute truth.
    They tried to define good and evil, and failed.
    They have managed to find the truth, good or evil, defined from their perspective.
    The same thing can be good for some and bad for others.
    In a war both parties are convinced that truth is on their side.

So I believe that more pertinent question is whether people are able to recognize that they were wrong when they believe they were wrong.
    Recognize the mistake, first of all to themselves and to others.