The Power of Systematic Desensitization

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by serenesam, Jan 19, 2011.

1. serenesam Registered Senior Member

Do not underestimate the power of systematic desensitization, incrementalism, gradual exposure therapy, successive approximations, small-wins strategy, and other similar terms. Systematic desensitization, gradual exposure therapy, and successive approximations are drawn from the behavioral sciences. I learned about the small-wins strategy from the school of business management. Many of the things I learned in the school of business management tend to be taken out from the behavioral sciences particularly that of industrial and organizational psychology. Some professors have suggested that both business management and industrial and organizational psychology are identical. The only minor difference is that business management is more pragmatic and industrial and organizational psychology is more empirical and rigorously researched-based. In addition, business management derives some of its teachings from the branch of social psychology.

Many people tend to think or believe that they will never fall for certain people’s agenda (whether positively or negatively intended) but rarely do they realize that they do fall for it. I believe that all things are possible and some of the things in which the average individual may have trouble seeing the end-goal being accomplished is an error mentality. For example, many people (including some very bright individuals) underestimate the power of mind control and propaganda. They brush it off as if they are too smart to fall for something as silly as that. The sad reality is that it does work and this is evident with the reflection upon the masses of the population. Of course, there are always exceptions to every rule and there are people with the ability to see beyond the walls of deception. When an individual has a goal in mind and the goal appears to be a challenging goal to meet, the person needs to keep focus and concentration of that particular goal. Considering the positive power of both the self-fulfilling prophecy and the placebo effect, use it towards your benefit in the aid of accomplishing that goal. A small-wins strategy can go a long way to achieving that goal. History has demonstrated repeatedly the effects of an incremental approach. Adolf Hitler once noted that one can give a big lie and repeat it over and over again and people will start to believe it. The key notion here is that once people start to believe it, they end up creating massive scales of illusory social realities that unfortunately becomes an actual reality for them but is not really an actual reality. Patience and consistency is key in the implementation of successive approximations. When I personally examine history myself, I am intrigued by the degree of patience evil has had particularly in the past hundred years. Little by little and with time slowly ticking by, I can see the total transformation on an enormous scale. If we were to imagine a chronological sequence of events, those individuals who thought that they would never fall for such silly propaganda and mind control from the initial stage would be in a state of disbelief when they look at the end point or near the end point of the already achieved goal.