Birth Of Britain on TV: Eurasian Plate Split From U.S. 60 MYA

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by common_sense_seeker, Jan 18, 2011.

1. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

The Channel4 programme last night presented by Tony Robinson was quite good, Birth of Britain, but why not mention the dinosaur-wiping 'asteroid' which hit around the same time as the plate splitting i.e. 56 mya? They showed a superb graphic footage of Britain and the Eurasian plate splitting from the U.S. plate around 60 million years ago. Surely the two are close enough to warrant a cause and effect speculation? Why is science so scared of joined-up thinking?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You're not going to get the answers you're looking for on the Free Thoughts board. This isn't the place for serious scientific discussions, and people who want to participate in serious scientific discussions don't look for them here. You should post your question on the Earth Science board. The people there will be able to tell you whether there could be enough energy in an asteroid collision to influence the movement of the tectonic plates.

My intuition says no, but I'm no geologist.

Before you criticize science, please try practicing it. That means posting on the right subforum, for starters.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Okay. Could you move it for me please Fraggle?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.