Poverty and Social Stratification

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by serenesam, Jan 14, 2011.

1. serenesam Registered Senior Member

I grew up poor with a single mother. Did anyone else grew up poor too? How did you all cope? Did it make you a better person?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dbnp48 Q.E.D. Registered Senior Member

I grew up poor but with two parents. I don't think it had much effect on me one way or the other. Almost all of the community I grew up in was poor so maybe that softened the impact.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I never knew what "poor" meant for even though my mom and I never had much we still made life as pleasant as possible for ourselves by doing what we could with what we had. I never felt "poor" but looking back was in that range monetarily speaking but always had more love than money could buy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. JuNie Registered Senior Member

What Americans consider "poor" often times is a joke. I've never been "Poor" but then again my idea of what poor is, is different from someone else's. I've had 2 parents (most of the time) so I consider myself generally lucky. Though there were bad times and we moved around alot, I havn't really lived in what could be considered poverty.

My parents made the decision to keep us out of the "ghetto" from an early age.

8. serenesam Registered Senior Member

I grew up poor. I was still quite stunned at how I turned out. Most people I know are not in a good place right now. I lived with roaches, waterbugs, and rats. That's why I am a firm believer in the self-fulfilling prophecy and placebo effects.

9. Pinwheel Banned Banned

I grew up poor, I only had one pony.