Question Re: towel usage.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by jmpet, Jan 11, 2011.

1. jmpet Valued Senior Member

This is something me (the youngest of five kids) and my wife (the only child) disagree on, I would like to hear some input on it from you folks.

You take a shower, you finish. You take a clean towel and dry off your clean body, drying yourself in the process. Question: is the towel dirty? Should it go into the hamper?

As the youngest of five growing up in a large family the answer is no- your clean body and that clean towel remain clean- it only gets wet and needs to be dried (hung on the shower rod to dry off). To my wife the clean towel on your clean body somehow become dirty and needs to go into the hamper.

So who is right?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

As a bachelor...I used the tried and tested "smell rule"....if it doesn't smell...it's clean.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

All I can say is ewwww! As one of four children in a family I strongly support the "to each his own towel" movement. Strange to say, I do not wish to wipe myself down with the same towel that has been in someone else's ass crack

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pinwheel Banned Banned

The towel is just wet, and needs to dry. But 1 towel per person.

8. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I try to use the same rule with women, but sometimes I prefer dirty.

9. keith1 Guest

The question of "multi-user" was not a part of the OP. The question of "multi-use" has multi-answers, based on the cost-per-use of washing and drying the towel, and totally removing the dead skin cells from the towel. One could say the towel has on it's surface, after the first use, a minimum amount of "loose-but-clean" dead skin cells that remained from the rinsing. Remember, shower water rinses, bath water immerses.

10. Pinwheel Banned Banned

same with your underpants?

11. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Only applies the day before laundry day.

12. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

The day before laundry day, you can just turn that last pair inside-out, or just go "commando".

13. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I'd recommend the inside-out method to extend wear time by 3 weeks. Besides, last pair/only pair - it's a fine line.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

15. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

I use my own towels usually twice before washing them again.

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

And there I was thinking as to if this thread would be about "How you use a towel?".

I mean as in; you dry the major part of your body on the middle of the towel and perhaps dry your face after brushing your teeth on one of the corner's, so you don't transfer bacteria from one region of your body to the other. (Obviously ideally a separate facial towel makes all the difference, but we are talking about cost effectiveness and efficiency here.)

In all essence though, you shower in an attempt to remove bacteria, you use shower gels in an attempt to aid removal. Using a towel is just removing the water, however some types of dirt might not wash off unless you are using a sponge, flannel or other type of apparatus. So you could potentially transfer that "grime" to a clean towel.

Obviously in Hotels they tend to replace towels on a day to day basis, this is understandable though considering they will constantly have laundry on the go, which most common households might save up for a large enough load etc.

(This post is just a lesson in the versatility of talking about random stuff lol)

17. superstring01 Moderator

Twice.

I use a towel twice.

I shower in the morning when I get up and again in the evening before bed (or when I get home from work). After each showering the towel goes on a warmer that dries it (the warmer is timed to turn off after an hour; I don't need a warm towel when I get out of the shower).

It lasts exactly one day and is tossed in the hamper.

Wet towels (especially those that hang around and don't dry within an hour) collect all sorts of nasty smelly germs that grow in bathrooms--and I'm a fan of bleach in the bathroom. Re-use is really gross especially if shared between people.

~String

18. Pinwheel Banned Banned

I liked to use racoons, they are natures towels.

19. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Pin!! You forgot to hang me up after you were done!

20. NCDane Registered Senior Member

If you wash thoroughly, and I do, there should be no need
    to change towels more than once every two weeks or so.

I have two towels in use at any one time, used alternately.

21. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

OMG..search for 'are you clean after shower' brought 'how to shower'

here is a more pertinent link 'why do we wash our towels'

there are bacteria that does not get washed off during a shower that can accumulate in the towel..

i tend to be a 'wash it when it starts to smell' person..

and i don't own any underwear..

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

:thumbsup:

23. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I'm sure there are people who DO wear underwear, that share the same philosophy when it comes to washing them, as you do for washing towels.