Do you want to be Immortal?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by NMSquirrel, Jan 11, 2011.

?

Do you want to be Immortal

1. Yes

57.1%
  2. No

28.6%
  3. I don't know

14.3%
  1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

self explanatory topic..

me personally would NOT want to be immortal..
    the world ain't getting any better..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Yes if my body would not get older, No if my body continued to age.....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dbnp48 Q.E.D. Registered Senior Member

I'll second that.

I'm retired and, other than a few health problems, my life is richer and more interesting in every way than it was when I was in my twenties. Based on that, I expect it would continue to get better indefinitely.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I look forward to an extended lifetime due to taking care of myself and ongoing advances in medical technology.

It would be fun and entertaining to be able to continue to participate in life even if that meant uploading my consciousness into a robot or a cyber-world storage of some kind.

I will keep an open mind, though I anticipate the usual ending of my personal story and will continue to strive to enjoy what it is that I have now with that in mind.

8. Pinwheel Banned Banned

No. I'd like to live a long time but eventually, I want to die. Otherwise at some point during immortality I'd get bored of seeing everything, trying everything and eating everything thousands of times. Then the only thing left to look forward too is an eternity of boredom.

9. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Possibly, if others could be too, I don't think I'd enjoy the repetative process of watching people I care about die for all eternity. I'd also not want to age.
    It would be great to see so much history and change, and would give you so much time to do things, although that said, it would get boring eventually, and the universe has to end so what happens to the immortal then? I'd settle for a few hundred years extra life.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

If it's the ability to live on for a lot longer, then sure. If it's not a choice, then it could end up being a curse. Highlander did teach us that much.

So I'd say yes to immortality with a waiver.

11. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I picked yes, but, maybe not "eternity" but, maybe,,,... ??

12. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

It depends on a few things.

1. that I can keep memories as accurately as I do right now and that never degrades.

2. I could eventually kill myself somehow.

3. That I don't age.

4. That im not necessarily unkillable, just very hard to kill me.

13. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

Wish granted,you get stuck at 17,along with all the hormones, this is how you discovered you were hard to kill, but you keep trying..someday you will kill yourself....

I wish...
    oh sorry wrong thread....

14. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

This particular answer always confuses me.Is it possible to grow older and older and not die eventually?Are we talking about some supernatural stuff?

15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Yes, as you get older time seems to pass quicker and quicker.
    Eventually you would reach infinite passage of time in a second.
    Wouldn't you?

16. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

Well ,I gave it a thought and it seems it all depends on the nature of the aging function.As time tends to infinity,does this function converge to a limit,or does it not?

If you age one year in the first year,half that in second year,even half of that in third year and so on,you will never age more than 2 years.
    But with normal aging ,if you have suffered 150 years of aging it's probably impossible to be alive.So,the point that I was trying to make was that after a certain amount of aging ,you have to be dead.

17. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

*Do you want to be immortal?*

I would definitely have to say NO!..

At some point and time, all things must end...

I would love to be able to extend my lifespan..But, to live forever, definitely not.

The whole "too much of a good thing" bit.

18. Carcano Valued Senior Member

"Its not death...its the dying that bothers me." -Woody Allen.

19. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Hmmm..I picked, I don't know. I think the fact that I'd be the only one who is immortal and see all my beloved ones turn to ashes in front of my eyes over and over again, and seeing myself still look the same after centuries -- this thought kind of frightens me. And what about eternal life if you're for example homeless? lol..I don't know..if I'm immortal does that mean that I don't need to eat, that I don't feel cold, etc?

20. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

You are Immortal just by this tread. Try to erase your self from the internet if you think I am wrong

21. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I liked my hormones at 17. Yeah I held onto them too because they were so good . Hey baby want to dance, You looking good in the profile picture of yours . We could dance to just the slow songs if you want.
    Human Life needs extension if we are to space travel. Human life span is way to short now. So in the end we will find the truth and life eternal will be real or life longer than what we know now will be real . That is the amazing thing about goal setting.

22. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

no..I may not be able to kill me here..but James R can..

:bugeye:

23. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Immortality is not possible. Eventually, even the universe will end, though we are still not quite sure how.

So what we are talking about really, is simply long life. If the ageing process were stopped, a person might live for hundreds, or even thousands of years. Eventually though, accident, violence, disease or similar will strike and that perpetually young person would be killed.

Even downloading consciousness into a computer will not confer immortality, since even the greatest of computers will eventually suffer some problem and be stopped.

So, if I rephrase the question : Would I like to live a very long time? the answer is yes. The world looks like the next thousand years or so will be fantastically exciting. Who but a total deadhead would not want to be part of it?