Price of gas almost 3.50 here, yikes

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by cosmictraveler, Jan 6, 2011.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well prices here in Key West are almost at the 3.50 level and by summer they think 4.00 will be with us. I thought Obama said there wasn't any inflation!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It was only 2.50 less than 6 months ago but has been increasing steadily for no apparent reasons, no oil spills, refinery fires or other catastrophes anywhere that would escalate the prices. So what is causing this sudden surge in prices, I sure can't figure it out can you? :shrug:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...qvXmAQ&usg=AFQjCNFGSRfvV3gl7--KEONlXA3lLObXYQ

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

The improvement in the overall economy is driving up demand and futures.

Don't worry, inflation will be coming along soon enough after, and you can start blaming the Republicants for stuff now.

They will be doing a lot of time wasting for a while here as they do their victory laps instead of getting down to brass tacks. Then they will waste a bunch more trying to redo the last 2 years instead of being here now.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

That's $3.50 per US-gallon?
    So you're currently paying... 92c per litre? So cheap!!!

In the UK we're paying about £1.25 - £1.30 per litre, which equates to about $1.95 per litre!! ($7.40 per US-gallon!!)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Be happy, CT, across most of the U.S. it's already bumping $4.00.

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sure, but that comparison doesn't really cut it. Why? Check it out and you'll find that the BIG difference is the taxes you pay on it.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Not to mention in Europe they drive more economical vehicles... shit, most mopeds get, what, 60+ MPG...?

Meanwhile here in the US we drive our Lincoln Navigator and BMW Pickups...

I drive a 1990 Pathfinder... because it goes anywhere through anything... I'd LOVE to see someone take a Lincoln Navigator offroading... and then laugh as they tear the thing apart.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The answer is speculation in the oil markets.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Yes, about 1.00 US per liter soon which is very high here because America doesn't tax its gas as much as Europe does.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would like to see it more like $5 a gallon.

13. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Just to clarify - SOME foolish (or well-to-people) in the U.S. drive those humongous gas-hogs. Many more of us do as I do - drive something that gets about 30 mpg. AND drive less than we used to.

The choice is strictly up to the individual. :shrug:

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

There's a problem with that kind of thinking. Many people must drive for a living, taxi cabs, truckers, police, plumbers, as well as many others. They must have large vehicles to transport equipment, people or things in their vehicles so they are stuck paying more and more and have no way out to reduce their costs without sacrificing their business.

15. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the conversion Sarkus.
    So now I can fully agree with you.
    That is a dirt cheap price. I filled up today at 1.30 per litre.

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Do you remember what the price of gasoline was before the economic crash of 2007-2008? It was $4 per gallon. Now that the economy is recovering demand is returning to pre crash levels as previously pointed out.

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I see no problem at all - obviously my statements were NOT aimed at nor included that group of people. :shrug:

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No problem with that - it's the single men driving Lincoln Navigators with giant ass wheels and a busted muffler that piss me off... ugh.

Get a real SUV if you need an SUV... not a mall crawler!