What are predictions for 2011

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by joepistole, Jan 1, 2011.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

So much for the predictions of gloom and doom last year. Last year the economy grew and the US did not file for bankruptcy as predicted by some.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2449735&postcount=12

Nor was the year particularly gloomy for most Americans as was predicted as well.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2450669&postcount=42

There were riots. It seems that is always a safe prediction. Every time there is a G20 meeting it seems to be accompanied with riots. Europe saw violent protests. Greece was notable in the riot category for the year as the nation faced down some severe austerity measures.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2450674&postcount=44

And of course the year did end, as was predicted by Anti-Flag

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2450991&postcount=49

We did not end up like Fallout 3 or Book of Eli as predicted by ND.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2453921&postcount=57

We did manage to evade the nuclear warfare in the middle east as predicted by Scaramouche and Spidergoat. Hopefully we will be as fortunate this year as we were last year.

We did however have another insane election as was predicted by SuperString.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2454329&postcount=58

The sun did rise and I presume that Cosmic was able to help others as he predicted.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2449192&postcount=2

And Cluelesshusband nailed his Dow prediction of 11500. The Dow closed out the year at 11577.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2449687&postcount=7

Superstring was right, my prediction that Dems would sweep the fall elections was wishful thinking. And the Dow was up by about half of what I predicted. And of course we all know that Bin Laden was not captured per my prediction last year.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2449844&postcount=17

So what are your predictions for 2011?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

So when do I get my prophecy badge?

I predict the year will have 365 and a quarter days, but we won't measure the quarter until we have four of them, so we'll save it for next year.
    I predict a diet. Plus a tornado, a bad movie, and chips. Lots of chips.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pinwheel Banned Banned

I predict gloom and doom.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I will be trying again to help others if I can and when I can.

8. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I predict people will not appreciate that as much as they should, and will most likely be a total ass to you as they are to others.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. superstring01 Moderator

I predict that the "hate America" crowd will continue to predict the fall of the USA, using every opportunity paint a bleak and gloomy future.

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I will second that.

I also predict that at least two Fox News employees will announce they are running for president in 2011. And I will further predict that no other network news will have employees running for the office of president in 2012.

The House will likely pass a bill to repeal heathcare reform passed by Democrats. But it will go no where.

My bet is come March - April the House will pass another continuing resolution rather than to pass a budget for 2011.

I think the economy will continue to improve. Income will grow by 3 - 5 percent in the US and the economy will continue to add jobs. And I would not be suprised to see another finanical crisis event in the EU, but it will have little impact.

China will continue to raise interest rates in an effort to stem inflation. Stock prices will continue to rise in the US. I expect a 23 percent gain in the S&P versus a 13 percent return in 2010.

I think Independent Republicans (Non Tea Party Republicans) like Murkowski will play a piviotal roll in the Senate this year. In the last two years, the Senate has been the hang-up, a place where legislation goes to die. In the next two years, that will happen in the House as it is dominated now by Tea Party rascals and wimpy Republican leadership.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Tony Abbott will sadly continue to smuggle budgies and his policies will make even less sense as the circulation is cut off from his brain

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Banapy joice will continue to be a compleate embarrassment to the whole country and the libs will change there leader, again

13. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Probably accompanied by a 2-3% loss in real value vs nominal value...as was the case in 2010.

14. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I predict that in an effort to get OBL, we overstep our boundries into Pakistan who gets pissed off- after all, the US has been bombing shit here for over a year.

I also predict we will never, ever find OBL. Dead a year ago, today, tomorrow or five years from now, sooner or later he'll die and be cremated and we'll never have his body to drag down Pennsylvania Avenue.

I predict the US will fund Iraqi projects which will build an infrastructure and modernize that nation at the cost of their oil over the next decade starting in 2011 and I predict that between now and 2015 we'll admit five million Iraqis into America to be melted into the pot.

I predict an amazing vibrancy of both Ford and GM to adapt and suddenly "out of the blue" come out with cars that get 30+ MPG in addition to practical alt energy vehicles.

I predict a small boom in coal exporting- at one point the ships will come in full of plastic crap and leave full of coal.

I predict that if Obama gets re-elected in 2012 and a Democrat wins in 2016 and 2020 that we'll redesign our flag with 57 stars.

I predict marijuana will be less an offence than alcohol.

I (kick myself for saying it but) predict the US dollar will remain the world's currency for years to come.

15. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

U.S Housing is still going down. WTF how many houses do each of you own?

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Real value versus nominal value? Inflation was basically zero in 2010. And I am predicting inflation will remain tame in 2011 and US interest rates will remain low.

Housing prices will flatten out and there will be a recovery in housing.

Healthcare reform will become less of a demon in the minds of Americans as they continue to learn the truth about the healthcare legislation passed by the Democrats in 2010.

17. superstring01 Moderator

Canadians and Australians have similar housing situations per capita. In fact, Australians and Canadians now live in houses LARGER than the average Americans for the first time in history (and, guess what, Americans aren't living in little shacks these days). Ever been to Florida? Besides Manhattan Jews, it's overrun by Canucks.

You're making it sound like Americans are the only people who own multiple houses.

Besides, property is--and always will be--the smartest long term investment option. Hell, I'm holding on to 4.5 acres at the edge of my small down (that abuts a rather fluent town) in the hopes that, soon enough I'll be able to offload it for a small fortune.

~String

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

People who have ARM's are in the 3-7-10 year adjustments this year which means their interest rates will escalate way up so they will be letting their homes go into foreclosure and buy another, less costly and lower interest rate home when they leave that home they go into foreclosure with. That means allot more foreclosure's in 2011 than you will imagine.

19. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

stronger RMB!

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

If those people of which you write let their homes go into foreclosure, their credit will be trashed and they will not be able to get a new mortgage. Interest rates will rise this year but I think the increases will be modest - nothing draconian. Interest rates are tied to inflation, and inflation has been non existent and will likely remain tame (less than 2 percent) for the foreseeable future.

And given that ARM were sold continiously decades, ARMs mortgages turn over each year. I am puzzled at how you can derive a cycle in aggregagte Arms mortgage turnovers that would have any economic consequence.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  21. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

I predict ppl will yell for cheaper stuff and higher wages..
    I predict at the end of the year the planets will line up and the suicide rate will go up during that time..(throughout the year also, but more in december)
    I predict I will say ' i remember when that cost x' at least once a day..(IRW coffee cost 50 cents/cup, now its 2 bucks..)
    I predict ppl will only pretend to care,
    I predict my 48 birthday will come and go uneventful..
    I predict I will never be right @sciforums, but also i will never be wrong..
    I predict Clueless will find a spell checker..
    I predict they will find OBL in a trunk at the back of jmpjet's garage..

22. Pinwheel Banned Banned

I predict Option ARMs will devestate the US in 2012

23. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Prices stability will remain zero or negative in the housing market due to oversupply, but everything else is taking off into orbit...relative to a sinking dollar.

Cotton, Wheat, Soybeans, Oil, Copper, Silver...etc, etc.