DUI Loophole

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by jmpet, Dec 28, 2010.

1. jmpet Valued Senior Member

If you're drunk and a horse is taking you home, are you DUI? The horse knows the way home. Is this a loophole for half the nation??

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Legally you are a public drunk and can be arrested for being drunk in public but I do not think they can make it a DUI because you are not driving any motorized vehicle and the laws are only applying to motorized vehicles that you are driving.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

when was the last time you have driven your horse..

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I don't expect driving one's horse while drunk would be likely to get one home: More likely, this would result in a doubly-disorienting kick in a painful place (any place at all, in my experience with horses). Driving any large animals while drunk is a really bad idea (or driving drunken animals, for that matter). Nor is it advisable to allow your horse to drive, under any circumstances.

BTW concerning loopholes- One may ride a horse, or even operate a motor vehicle while over the legal blood alcohol limit within a structure (parking garage) and within at least one U.S. city and state, with complete immunity from DUI penalties. This exemption may also require a good (and likely expensive) lawyer. Don't ask me how and where I learned that. Here's some far more topical and qualified legal information:

8. jmpet Valued Senior Member

So it is possible to own a horse (which you can in 90% of America) and use it to take your sorry drunk ass back home.

9. John99 Banned Banned

Is it a tame horse? Tame horses dont run into things on their own.

Perhaps even, or most likely, "un-tame" horses as well.

10. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Nah- it's that good old horse that knows its way home from various points. You park him outside the bar and get loaded, then he takes you faithfully home.

11. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

yea, but then one would have to go back and clean up the messes..

12. jmpet Valued Senior Member

So it's confirmed in this forum- I can get as loaded as I want as old Chester's takin' me back home.

13. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Just don't climb on the wrong horsey (I'll never do that again)

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

Wouldn't be a loophole in the UK I fear, we have 'Drunk in charge of' laws, and one can be found drunk in charge of a bicycle, for instance. I've not looked up if 'drunk in charge of a horse' is on the statutes, but I think it will be. From memory, people have been found guilty of being drunk in charge of strollers, so I'm sure horses will be covered.

15. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

A "Drunk in Charge of Self" law is a sobering thought- It sounds like you Brits are most of the way there already. So maybe, it would be simpler to stipulate the sole circumstances for being legally pissed: Quaranteen, designated sober supervision. Best of Luck :cheers:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  16. phlogistician Banned Banned

Being drunk in public is an offence anyway, ... but you have to be displaying obvious signs of drunkeness, so being busted for it is generally to keep the peace, or in the drunk's best interest.

Here's a related story I Googled,...

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/19250-drunk-in-charge-of-a-horse

17. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I think there are laws in Texas about riding a horse while drunk. I'll have to look it up.

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Works for pulling double shifts, too - you can sleep on a horse, and still get home, if the horse is familiar with the routine.

Legal in Minnesota, but only if the horse is obeying the law otherwise and not endangering the public. Best to stay off the highway or shoulder - horses can learn cross country routes easily.

Legendary drunk in my former town and job used to do that - after promising his wife he would go to work only, and stay away from bars. He got busted when his wife took the horse for a ride, and it brought her to this one bar and stopped (so went the story, and he was sitting right there).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  19. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

What if the horse is drunk? :shrug:

20. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

sheesh pay sum (hic!) 'tension, we already cantered that.

21. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Sorry

I must have been drunk at the time......

22. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

It would be pretty funny if the horse realized it wasn't going to receive any more instructions from the rider (since you passed out), and eventually started wandering around eating grass or something.......you wake in the middle of nowhere

23. Nasor Valued Senior Member

In most places simply being drunk in public isn't illegal; you need to be both drunk and disorderly. The specifics vary greatly according to where you live, though.