What accounts for increased suicide rates in professionals?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by WillNever, Dec 26, 2010.

1. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I thought I would share an rather interesting bit of information that I came across recently:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

According to the evidence, many professionals -- and especially nurses and physicians -- are at an increased risk for suicide over the general population. What do you suppose is the reason for this? Some have put forth that greater social pressures influence these types and cause them to buckle under stress. Others feel that traumatic experiences might be responsible for the higher suicide rates -- as a sort of occupational hazard.

What do you make of it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

One thing to consider is that engineers tend to be men and primary school teachers tend to be women. Men have a much greater tendency to kill themselves than women. I would suggest gender plays a big role.

Another consideration is that healthcare professionals like doctors tend to take very poor care of themselves. They hardly sleep or exercise, both of which are activities that are extremely important for one's wellbeing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Both nurses and pharmacists are comprised of women more than they are men -- and both professions are also associated with higher rates of suicide. What you are saying about sex and suicide is very true francois, but there might be another component at work that we haven't thought of yet. I agree that exercise and sleep might be a factor, by the way.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

It is my understanding that the primary motivator for suicide is an ongoing (chronic) state of depression.

This can be caused by quite a few things, but much depression can be alleviated with adherence to a regular daily schedule, sufficient rest, exercise, bright lighting and a decent diet. Unfortunately, many persons who are prone to depression do not or can not take these simple measures to keep it at bay.

Stress - including professional stress - aggravates depression and may well motivate consideration of suicide as a means to cope with said job stress.

8. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Stress is the key in this situation. Long hours, hard work, lots of responsibility adds up to loads of stress.