Why?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Lady Historica, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Lady Historica Banned Banned

Are we addicted to the internet in this world?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lady Historica Banned Banned

Well since you put it that way it sounds like we all suffer from sexual fear. Hide behind virtual reality to displace our impotence.

Thats a great use...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Addicted? You mean like not being able to live without internet? Hmmm, forced addiction maybe.

8. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Well, here in Sweden it's too cold to go outside and talk to strangers.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. dbnp48 Q.E.D. Registered Senior Member

I'm happily addicted to the Internet. I don't know how I got by before it came along.

10. Lady Historica Banned Banned

Is there a type of addiction that isn't?

what? They have a website where you can order heroine? Why would I want to leave the house and socialize when I can sit here in a chatroom while booting.

I would bet it is because we can express ourselves more openly without caring what another person on here thinks of you. Or you can pretend to be someone your not. Honestly who has conversations with strangers like the ones you can find on this site?

11. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Unless you're Prince, who can allow himself to abstain from the net, then ...

12. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

my precious..

13. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Well having almost every bit of information in the world at your fingertips can be pretty distracting. And if you don't like reading then you can always just look at the pictures...

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Better that we be addicted to the Internet than drugs, alcohol or crime isn't it? Would it be better if the Internet wasn't available at all and all we had was TV? Or what if all we had was talking to our neighbors for information how much could we learn about what is happening in other places or with other people around the world?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  15. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

Using internet for more than 20 hours a week considered as addiction. TV health program, I have no links,lol.

16. Lady Historica Banned Banned

probably nothing... but atleast you could learn to be neighborly. We have lost our sense of adventure when walking to your neighbors house seems a long distance into the unknown.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I already know my own neighbors and they are nice folks to be with but I'd rather be able to explore other places , learn new things and explore the far reaches of space. Not always can neighbors give you everything you would like to have but are nice to have as well.

18. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Oh yeah I like the internet. It has provided 20% of my money (soon to be 100%) and 80% of my education, and 1 lifelong friend.

19. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The real horror will arrive when NOBODY can remember any 'before it came along'.

20. Lady Historica Banned Banned

Your saying it would be nice to have neighbors all over the world. I find this a very nobel and insightful idea.

21. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

...and the primary reason I play online. I enjoy having friends all over the world, it adds variety and adventure to my life.

I also enjoy my neighbors...and I run my dog 9 miles a day 7 days a week.

22. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

When I first hit the internet back in the 1990's I was almost an addict, after all you could do much more than want you can in your normal everyday life so what wouldn't be appealing in regards to that? I spent a number of years and long hours online until one day I actually realised "I was bored of it".

This undermines the classic nature of addiction, because an addictive chemical or past time is suppose to generate positive taxis's that release specific endorphins that generate the hook in the addiction. To get to the point where the hook doesn't exist any more kind of killed the myth.