Get Military Recruiters Out Of High Schools

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Anarcho Union, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

Does anyone else fill as strong about getting military recruiters away from impressionable teenagers that are at the turning points of their lives. The last thing that belongs in a public education system is the military. Its bad enough that our ROTC program is a daily part of pushing the military down my peers throats. Now we have to sit through lunch hearing how amazing and great it is to join the army. I think its a crime, and no matter your belief of our military, young teens should not be exposed to this.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

So. . . how would you criminalize it if it's such a crime? The Military is, after all, a part of the government and serving in the military is hardly deplorable.

~String

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well since its the young that usually enlist when do you suppose they should have exposure to the military? After all most go in around 18! Willingly I might add. The military does offer benefits that make it an attractive choice for many people. Whatever understanding they have of the military is their responsibility. Buyer beware! They won't know what it all means til they are on the inside anyway.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

i hear that those cowardly ivy league turncoats are letting the baby killers back on campus since the queer folks can now openly proclaim their gayness while shooting babies and dismembering them and collecting their fingers and whatnot

fuck
    anyways.....

*This shift stems from a disagreement in the late 1960s between the Ivy League colleges and the military. Should R.O.T.C. have to comply with the host college’s rules for academic course content and professor qualifications? R.O.T.C. said no, colleges said yes, and the two had to agree to disagree. R.O.T.C. then walked away from Northeastern campuses.

While Harvard is often described as “expelling” R.O.T.C. in 1969, the story is more nuanced. After the military refused to meet Harvard’s standards on academic coursework, the faculty voted to relegate the program to an extracurricular activity, and the military decided to leave. But Harvard did not abolish the program, and it was only much later that people began to talk of a ban.

On occasion, some faculties have approved resolutions recommending that R.O.T.C. not be reinstated at their campuses. Those are not bans. On occasion, students have protested against R.O.T.C. Those also are not bans.

*The Solomon Amendment, passed in 1994, withdraws federal financing from any college with a “policy or practice” preventing the military from “maintaining, establishing or operating” R.O.T.C. on its campus. The law also takes financing away from colleges that bar military recruiting. The Defense Department hasn’t been shy about enforcing its right to recruit, going all the way to the Supreme Court and winning in Rumsfeld v. FAIR. ​

The R.O.T.C. Myth

The Ivy League Makes Peace with ROTC

is that true? no actual ban?

8. Gustav Banned Banned

oh
    fuck rummy

9. Psyche Registered Senior Member

In my opinion the last thing that belongs in the public education system is children. The connection between school shootings, youth violence, and military recruitment is not something that is going to get headline treatment on Fox News any time this century, but a population of children desensitized to the value of human life and eager to have some one or some thing to obey Milgrim Experiment style is not in the best interests of you or I or any young person. But it is of most definite interest to the powers that be. In fact, the seeds of the modern education were planted in Prussia where it was their expressed intent and purpose to create better soldiers incapable of independent thinking. The only crime is the legitimization of a captive audience for any kind of nonesense or even sensible and edifying purposes in the first place.

10. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

How not? Its teaching people to be trained killers. Teaching people to blindly follow a country

11. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I don't foloow the country, fuck the USA let is burn

12. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

Amen XD

13. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

Most of the people in highschool are not 18.
    And they are blatenly lied to. Recruiters are like sales men, they'll say whatever they have to say

14. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

...sorta like drug dealers?

Before I turned 18 I had been involved with E LA street gangs, drug dealers, hookers and various other felons. I met them all at school. I had classmates who could teach me how to kill if I needed instruction. To this day I carry scars from knife fights and the like I got into while in high school.

The only reason I was not interested in the military was that my dad was in it and I grew up in the military.

Schools are government institutions so the government gets to be there doing their thing. That includes trying to get young people to join up. You don't want to, don't. For other people though, it is a way out of a bad place that they already are in or a way to pay for college or to get trained to get a job after. I have had friends that I was sure were going down the toilet and the military turned their lives around.

As long as there is somebody in your high school selling you pot, acid or heroin, then the military has the same rights as he/she to be there selling their deal too.

15. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

so what your saying is people who impose the right to destroy their own bodys also have the right t destroy others?
    hmmmm

16. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

i joined the air force out of high school.
    i was ignorant..
    while i was still at boot camp ,an opportunity came up where i could get out..
    stupid me, took it..
    if i would have stayed in, after the two years (stupid me) would have been up in no time..after that i could leave if i didn't like it (I didn't give myself the opportunity to find out if i liked it or not)
    if after two years i did not want to stay,i could have utilized the college funds, and more..

there is also something to be said about it being a vehicle to learn discipline..

you don't have to sign up for fighting..there are many support positions in need of being filled..

if i could do one thing in my life over again, it would be to make myself stay in for at least the two years..
    If someone invents a time machine,let me be the first to use it..i'll go back and kick myself in the ass..

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Then why stay in America if you hate it so much? You are getting welfare checks or unemployment checks for doing nothing aren't you? Seems America is providing you with many things you need and sinnce your still here it must be OK.

18. keith1 Guest

Guilt only works on the guilt-ridden. Disregarding all of that, I don't take the military mindset too seriously, in a perfect civilian setting, either.

No military mind could survive long in a perfect civilian setting, is my guess.

19. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

Others have already pointed out some of your misconceptions about military culture, as well as the military's role in society, but I doubt such things hold sway with teenage anarchists, so I won't bother.

But even given all of that, you must lead a very sheltered and sedate life to seriously think that military recruiters are the biggest threat to America's youth. How does that even compute?

20. jmpet Valued Senior Member

My brother joined the Navy at 18 and hasn't regretted it. I guess military life is for some people. I will state by contrast a difference between that and say, signing up while we're in the middle of a war though...

21. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I joined the Navy at 17...Got a free college education out of it. I got to travel and learn self discipline...I nave NO regrets.

I would say it made me the man I am today..But, I really can't blame the military for that..

BTW...At one time, I was a recruiter...Don't regret that either...

22. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

You're not getting this. Of course they are not YET 18, the point is they will be and so when do you expect them to be exposed to information concerning the military? They seek to recruit both before and after someone is 18 but you would hope to catch them before they are 18.

Of course recruiters are sales people, ALL recruiters are sales people

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It sounds as if you're the one who is a bit naive. I mean you have teenagers who are learning about history and the role of the military in history, I'm assuming that would include Vietnam and so on and so forth, yet you behave as if they know absolutely nothing. You are also naive if you believe young men are not curious about war and the more destructive habits of the military. At the same time there are people for example who have joined the military, learn something like engineering skills and are NEVER deployed.

Why do you not ask yourself why you believe teenagers in high school are not being taught the reality and hardship of war by their learning institution?

Also American teenagers if you have not noticed are not a great example of naive tender innocents, they tend to be over-exposed especially sexually and most see no need to protect them, so you would also have to ban recruiting commercials on t.v as well as in front of the mall.

So instead of blaming recruiters why don't you ask why teachers and family members who have known war fail to share the experience with young teenage boys?

23. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

I dont think they are the biggest threat, however I've seen kids who do not want to join the military but are extremely poor and have no hope for a secsussful future get talked into joining and when they got out, they were changed people and emotional scared (my uncle, my girlfriends cousin ect)