can retarded people be intelligent?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by birch, Dec 9, 2010.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

i've noticed something from observing different people and come to the conclusion that a lot of people we consider normal and functioning are not really more intelligent than what we call those who are considered to have some type of 'clinical' disability or labeled 'retarded'.

just because one accepts inconsistencies and hypocrisy just to survive doesn't mean they are smarter. i also see that many of them have a lot of other issues and hangups, so when you add all that up it could be construed that they are even less intelligent. also, i've noticed that those who think they are clever can be very blind in another way as well as very ignorant. i've noticed those who make fun of retarded people are full of erroneous beliefs themselves as well as poor judgement. i've talked with clinically retarded children and many of them are quite lucid and honest. they are not blinded or motivated by bias or prejudice etc. i think that's a true aspect of intelligence. somehow this precious honesty seems to be the foundation to true intelligence or understanding and to lose sight of it or mock it is a sign of stupidity. it seems many people think they are more intelligent when i don't see that at all.

for instance, why would an intelligent person get drunk, smoke cigarettes or any number of undermining vices to themselves and others, get in debt, believe in lies, vote for bad politics etc.

what we call normal or acceptable may also be a sign of stupidity or that stupidity can become the survival of the fittest. i think it's kind of a paradox.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I have noticed this too. I knew a guy in my neighborhood with Williams Syndrome. They look like they have Down's Syndrome, but they are very friendly and extra-social. It's like the opposite of Autism (which I have). He would often stop to talk to me about various things, he was quite intelligent and nicer than many NT (neurotypical) people I know. He was certainly better at being social than me. He rode the bus on his own to his job and back every weekday.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

The major part of the human consciousness is quite sluggish. Retards and geniouses are perhaps not so far away from eachother afterall, they have just found different paths to single themselves out.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

You know what they say..It's a fine line between genius, and insanity..

I think many cross that line on a frequent basis.

8. birch Valued Senior Member

uh, what? that has nothing to do with clinically retarded people.

you mean the insanity of regular folks and geniuses. that's an insult actually but most people don't realize it. lol

9. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

They do now..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Of course, you also have the "savants" as well...Like the "Rain-man" types.

They can't even dress themselves, but have photographic memories.

10. John99 Banned Banned

The answer is simple. Mental = cognition...capacity. Retard means what?

Interestingly enough, there is something related to this but i'd rather not elaborate on it at this time. It can seriously alter percetions and there is no benefit to expose it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  11. John99 Banned Banned

Not true though. Well not if you take all things into account for the simple fact that insanity doesnt discriminate basd on intelligence so what seems likely is merely commonality in brain functions or disfunction depending on which word one prefers. So far as that should be put to rest...once and for all as merely inculcation.

12. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

this statement applies to ALOT of ppl
    substitute ANY word that describes a group of ppl like that and it still works..

IE "i've noticed those who make fun of Christian people are full of erroneous beliefs themselves as well as poor judgement."

but to get back on topic..
    i have met several ppl like that..(several are at my church) most are intelligent once you learn how they communicate (two with cerebral palsy, one i don't know what he has..haven't asked) one of those i have read a paper she wrote (she has trouble communicating by voice) i have invited her to join sciforums, but i invited her through her mom (i get the sense that her mom is very controlling of her environment) she seems very intelligent,
    i do tend to shy away from those types as i have a hard time communicating with them..(hell, i have a hard time communicating with nuerotypical ppl!)

13. birch Valued Senior Member

no shit, sherlock! does that statement apply to ALOT of ppl? yes! it does apply to a lot of people and this thread was not about christians and was hardly the point! this thread is not for you to squeeze in the idea that christians are discriminated against. this thread is not about christian's issues! i dislike your dishonest tactics and they are noted by me. i get the impression, in your circle this is acceptable so you don't think anything is wrong with it.

this works too: ie, i've noticed christians are full of erroneous beliefs themselves as well as poor judgement."

14. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Of course.

Many 'retarded' people can speak and process language, often in quite sophisticated ways. I encountered a special-ed class of teenagers with Down's syndrome this afternoon. They not only were interacting with each other socially, they were also using computers.

Think of how difficult it would be to build a robot that could replicate their behavior. I don't think that anyone would deny that the robot was exhibiting signs of intelligence.

And 'retarded' is an awfully imprecise word. That, along with inevitable political-correctness, is probably one reason why the word has fallen out of favor.

Not only are there people like the Down's syndrome kids that seem to have reduced cognitive capacities across the board, there are also the fascinating idiot-savant types. Often reduced or even totally missing capacities for sone kinds of information processing tasks is accompanied by extraordinary and almost superhuman capabilities in other areas. But these people might still find themselves labeled 'retarded' if their overall ability to fare for themselves in the world is significantly reduced.

15. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

1.) you - I have a related, perception altering thing!!!
    2.) you - ...
    3.) me -

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. deicider got omnicidead Registered Senior Member

stephen hawking.

Looks like a retard, has above average intelligence.

17. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Is there an example of a retard looking smart?

18. deicider got omnicidead Registered Senior Member

Friedrich Nietzsche

Looks smart, is retard.

19. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

He wasn't always like that, he developed some degenerative disease in his 20's. The only thing that still functions properly is his amazing brain.

20. deicider got omnicidead Registered Senior Member

Ye but he looks like a retard, aint that right?

21. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

There must be better examples.

22. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

its the use of the word 'retard' that is gonna kill this thread.

23. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

No really, I want to see pictures of retards looking smart.