Happy new year!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Shadow1, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Aish hada! Time for 9 Muharram and the Shia feast at the Jamat mmmm....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sanaa Saeeda to you too!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

In Mumbai the Shia community has a communal feast on the eve of Ashura every year. Its held in the jamaat khana [cxommunity rooms] and is generally open to all

kullu youm [sanaa?] wa antum bakhair to you too! Jazakkalh khairan.

8. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

kullu yawm (means day) wa antum bekhair (and you are fine, (you for plural))

9. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

sana=3am..=year

10. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

ah, okki,do you go their? the communtiy room or whatever? how is it ? do you have pictures? i like to see new things

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't usually go - I hate crowds. Sunni Muslims also usually fast on the 9th, so unless the feast is after iftaar its not possible to go. They take out tajias in Mumbai, in commemoration of Hasan/Husain in Karbala and self flagellate with swords and whips. Too much sweat and blood for me!!! They have some specific rituals and songs for the duration of the procession - beating their heads with sticks, cutting themselves with knives etc. Its also a form of oral history and re-enactment so if you hang around, you can hear the story of Hasan Husain and Karbala

Most Sunnis think this is all nuts excessive so you won't find many people participating in the feast.

Still if you'd like to see, this is a video from Byculla, in Mumbai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBHtuQe07G8

12. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

fuc** you mean those who put knives in their body and do other, helish things? gosh, is that islam???

13. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

i saw a video on FB once, it's shocking what they are doing, they are like the deamon worshipers, the hard rock people, the gothics i think, who worship, "deamons" and do things in their bodies

14. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

well, at least these don't modefy their bodies

but, why do they do it? what's the logical reason behind this? and for what be,efit? why? how? when? where? etc...
    sh*t!!

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its the mourning ceremony of muharram for Shias. Its historical rather than religious. But yeah, its Shia Islam - nothing to do with God, but meh!

I mentioned taziyas - in Iran it refers to the re-enactment of the story of Karbala but in India it refers to the small ceremonial mausoleums carried in the procession

They range from this:

to this:

There is a Hindu family that has been taking out Taziyas since 130 years!

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They do it as a reenactment of the torture inflicted on the grandson of the Prophet at Karbala,

Don't you have any Shia Muslims in Tunisia?

17. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

well this one is beautifull, like a carnaval, i thought you meant those who put knives in their bodies and do other things!!

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, it all happens at the same time @@ Some of the "mourners" carry the taziyas while some of them re-enact the suffering.

19. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

only few, never met one, anyway they don't any of those things, the ones that i hear about them, after, they also have the same quran as all muslims do, and say "ash'hadou anna la ilaha illa allah, wa anna mohamadan rasoulou allah" right?

20. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

oo, then, i like the carneval part, and i hate the deamonish part

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah but they are considered another madhab in Islam and they add some stuff about Ali to their shahada. The practice of Islam is not very different, they have the prayers but use slightly different movements [but then I discovered in KSA that Saudis also pray slightly differently from Indians] and same Quran and same festivals. Only they have Ashura because Husain was a Shia Imam and their Eids are generally a a day before the Sunnis [again, the Saudi Eids don't match the Sunni Indian ones either so I don't know why that is].

Most Indian Shias also don't do the self flagellating, but I think its usually carried on as a family tradition, ie if they do it in the family, then the kids pick it up. Its mostly done by those who consider themselves the carriers of the tradition with the responsibility to carry it within the community

22. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

ah, i see,but, for example indian sunni and saudi sunni, only few differences, few, but same principles, maybe some traditions like, idk, the things to do in eidfor example

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not much similarity actually, they do everything low key, we like a lot of noise and colour