lying

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by birch, Dec 3, 2010.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

if the laws of the universe or nature are based on absolute laws or truths, then why can we even consciously lie or deceive?

if the laws of nature do not lie, then why can we tell untruths, even for the purpose of deception?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Simple. Because there's nothing in the "laws of nature" to prevent humans from telling untruths.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. birch Valued Senior Member

if the laws of nature are reliable, then why would there even be a desire or circumstance to lie?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Emil Valued Senior Member

We do not belong to this universe?
    Or an entire universe is a lie?

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Again - simple. Humans lie to gain advantage, to keep out of trouble, to get out of trouble, etc. And as I said before, there is nothing about "nature" to prevent it.

9. birch Valued Senior Member

if everything is a result of the laws of the universe/nature, then lying is a result of the universe then or the laws of the universe are contradicting itself.

but why would it, unless it's capable of lying also.

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Surely you aren't being serious! The laws of nature - like the speed of light, the boiling/freezing points of liquids, etc., etc., etc have absolutely NO control over the human mind. We can imagine all sorts of things that do not mesh with the laws of nature (ever heard of science fiction, eh?) and that includes imagining the lies that we can/do tell.

11. birch Valued Senior Member

i'm not referring to imagination but why nature would produce a system where lying or deception is part when the laws of nature/universe supposedly never are broken but always true.

it's one thing to know you are imagining or could be imagining and admit that but it's another to consciously be able to tell a lie or forge a deception. the latter also happens but it doesn't make sense in a universe that supposedly is built on unbreakable laws or truths.

12. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I have never told a lie in my entire life...

Ok, that's a lie..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Emil Valued Senior Member

Can you say about yourself "I am a liar."?

14. birch Valued Senior Member

then would "consciousness" not be part of or from the laws of nature/universe perhaps?

it seems to want to do it's own thing.

15. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I could..But, that would be a lie...Ok, thats a lie.

Geez, when do the lies end?...LOL

Hell, everyone lies at some time or another..And, if they say they don't, well, you know...

16. Emil Valued Senior Member

Yes, I admit if I manage to not pay taxes. :yay:
    Our government spends money on nonsense.

17. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I always pay my taxes... I have to say that, in case the IRS is reading this..

Yeah, I think all Governments piddle away the people's money though..Doubt that will ever change.

18. Emil Valued Senior Member

I paid for the contribution of unemployment about 10% of salary for 26 years.
    The small company where the owner was a friend of mine in the last five months he was able to pay only for 2 hours per day due to the crisis.
    So I was hired with 2 hours a day and I paid 10% of salary accordingly.
    After five months, the little company went bankrupt.
    Then I learned that those who work less than 6 hours per day are not entitled to unemployment benefit, so I have not received unemployment benefit.
    After my calculations I have to recover money from our government I paid for 26 years.
    So...

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Liars when they speak the truth are not believed.
    Aristotle

Gradually I came to realize that people will more readily swallow lies than truth, as if the taste of lies was homey, appetizing: a habit.
    Martha Gellhorn

Lying is like alcoholism. You are always recovering.
    Steven Soderbergh

If you do not wish to be lied to, do not ask questions. If there were no questions, there would be no lies.
    B. Traven

Never forget that a half truth is a whole lie.
    Author Unknown

A lie can run around the world before the truth can get it's boots on.
    James Watt

If you wish to strengthen a lie, mix a little truth in with it.
    Zohar

Lying increases the creative faculties, expands the ego, and lessens the frictions of social contacts.
    Clare Booth Luce

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Ambition drove many men to become false; to have one thought locked in the breast, another ready on the tongue.
    Sallust

Any fool can tell the truth, but it requires a man of some sense to know how to lie well.
    Samuel Butler

Please don't lie to me, unless you're absolutely sure I'll never find out the truth.
    Ashleigh Brilliant

20. birch Valued Senior Member

there is some type of disconnect between our consciousness and reality or some other issue.

it is puzzling why it's this way or why deception is so easily a part of life on one level and not on another.

21. Kid Math Wizard Registered Senior Member

It is human nature to avoid trouble. We lie so we don't get in trouble. We don't put our hand on the stove because it hurts. Nature is looking out for your best interest.

22. birch Valued Senior Member

i'm asking a deeper question. consciousness is different than the laws of nature or the universe or the universe isn't what we may think it is.

people don't just lie to get out of trouble, they do it for gain too. facts do not care whether one is perceived to be in trouble or not, only consciousness does. it a totally different plane of reality. the stove analogy has nothing to do with lying either. just as a person can shortchange you in a money exchange and do it consciously whereas when you are dealing with supposed laws of nature or how the universe works, it is reliable and logical and there is no intent to cheat or there is no whim. when you are dealing with a conscious being, that is not a given. it really is quite different than when people are discussing facts and getting at truth or appealing for others to be truthful because life doesn't really work that way or have to be that way on a certain plane. also, what's interesting is how some people do tend to be more logical or truthful in thinking or are compelled to be this way whereas there are those who also can consciously pervert or even betray what they know is a truth themself. it is quite puzzling.

the laws of the universe seem to be hypocritical when it's conscious or it's a result from the unawareness of the universe to life's existence.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  23. gmilam Valued Senior Member

The universe has no reason to lie to us.