Holiday greeting cards gone wild

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by cosmictraveler, Dec 2, 2010.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Last year I purchased some hand crafted greeting cards , 15 for 12.00 US. This year I was surprised to find that the store that carried them no longer does so I went in search of them on line. Found them very quick and called in to order a box seeing the price was lower, 10.00 US was posted, but was surprised even more when they told me that was for EACH CARD!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I don't understand how this type of rip off can be taking place for that kind of increase is unheard of in just 1 years time. Seeing how this company is the only one selling this type of card I refused to buy them and just said so long. What is going on these days anyway, everyone out to make a million dollars overnight?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There could be all kinds of things going on. First of all, if the new price works for their business, then more power to them. So, maybe they got a large order for a particular store, and the store was able to negotiate a lower price. When they sell on-line, maybe they get fewer orders and it's more labor to prepare every shipment. Maybe they moved production to the US. Maybe they want to pay their workers more. You don't have to buy their product.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I won't buy it for sure but it seems that they don't have much overhead as a brick and morter store does seeing they are on line only sales.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

I don't ever send "Christmas" cards. Out of twisted humor, I usually send Kwanzaa or Hanukkah cards. Usually good for a laugh.

~String

8. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

15 for US$12 seems super-cheap for handcrafted cards.

It may have something to do with two things:

a. They invested last year (ie, took a hit) by seeding the market with low-cost cards to develop a customer base (ie, the people who bought/sent them and the people who received them), then this year, they raised the price to a more realistic, profitable level.

b. They found that the cards sold-out too quickly last year due to their ridiculously low price, so this year they sold them at a more reasonable price range. I forget the economic principle behind this, but it has to do with adjusting the price for optimal returns.

And this year, maybe they're finding out that they set the price too high.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I've bought these cards for 4 years now from the same store for the same price every year, a little higher last year but very little. These are from the same manufacturer only different looking cards as most are. They are just Seasons Greetings types of cards, no other sayings inside, only if I want to add something myself i can. As for costs, they must have been making a profit margin or else they would have raised the prices to compensate or just dropped the line altogether.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I make my own cards - it's nicer that way

11. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

True, it's a lot more personal and thoughtful....And, way better than blowing $10 per card..

That is completely ridiculous..:bugeye: