Satisfying the inner child...

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by ULTRA, Nov 28, 2010.

1. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Most of us are still pretty much kids at heart. This is good, it keeps us going when our responsibilities would drag us under.
    What do you do to satisfy the inner child? Me, I tear about on my motorbike, play computer games and muck about with my dog.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It is all in the way I think. I try not to let things get to heavy of a burden on my mind and relax by watching nature, taking walks on the beach, listening to old music I grew up with.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Petting my dogs, playing and/or listening to music, eating candy/cake/pie/donuts/etc., playing games (primarily go but Scrabble and various computer solitaire games are good too), watching TV or movies, reading, wandering through a mall. I used to ride motorcycles when I was younger and have a couple of trophies in the attic, now I roar around in a Mercedes. I miss skiing but that's even tougher on the ol' bod than motorcycling.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I come here to find my center.

8. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

That's pretty cool guys, except you jm. Are you sure? I mean, well, um..We're all crazy!

9. birch Valued Senior Member

i would love to live in a mall where everything was accessible.

i would walk out from my apartment into the mall and besides all the usual stores and food court, restaurants and sometimes cinema, there would be a university, hospital or clinic, grocery store, gym, indoor/outdoor park, possibly daycare and my job would be in the mall too. there are some malls with some of these but not everything. it would have to be a huge mall. the bigger the better.

hotdiggity; no driving and no traffic and everything at my fingertips.

i dream to satisfy my inner child. sometimes those dreams come true, not necessarily that i would benefit. this may actually happen one day where people live like this in some type of fashion.

10. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Birch, that's just splendid. Lazy, but splendid!

11. birch Valued Senior Member

honestly, that's not lazy, it's just more efficient.

what is the benefit of having gas up the car and drive everywhere? why is that less lazy than walking? it's not. if things are more in proximity, one can walk.

how about the lack of walking that is causing health problems. how about people driving cars everywhere, as well as the ugly turf everywhere is also causing pollution?

what is the benefit of lugging iceberg lettuce in a semi all around the country instead of buying local?

people think having to travel distances is somehow less lazy. if your ass is jogging all the way, then i'd agree but wasting more time and polluting while your fat ass rides in a car is not less lazy.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

I too have dogs, and enjoy playing fetch with them. Then there's music, films, and video games, surfing, snowboarding, making things (last project was a wheeled case to transport surfboard and paraphernalia to the beach on/in). My inner child is pretty satisfied.

13. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Ok birch, I retract. Splendidly efficient!

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm not sure it's healthy for the average person to never go outside.

Certainly many people can train themselves to live that way and not consciously notice any ill effects. We can even use fluorescent lights that mimic the solar spectrum so we keep our circadian rhythm synchronized.

But we've only had the option of remaining permanently indoors for the last few generations of our breeding cycle. Before that only prisoners and the occasional eccentric lived that way. That's not long enough to evolve a physical or psychological adaptation to a new kind of environment. I would very thoroughly check the entire population for abnormal effects at frequent intervals. Since we don't even know what effects to look for because they may be subtle, we may not even catch them until they reach crisis levels.

This is one of the things we'll have to worry about when we finally start sending people to colonize the moon or other planets. Even our most wretched cities have an "outdoors."

15. birch Valued Senior Member

^i was mostly joking. it was just an idea of having everything more in close proximity so that walking could be utilized for most things instead of driving.

anyways, as long as their are windows, or ceilings that let in natural light and a good ventilation system, i don't think it matters a big deal. you could even have retractable ceilings or even plants and trees growing indoors with the right care.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Today with the internet you almost have that right from your home. School, work, play, food, paying bills, buying stuff and many other things can be accessed through the internet. So your efficient ways are here for many but more are getting on board daily. I don't have to travel much any longer to enjoy movies, entertainment or seeing other lands and meeting new people, they are all on the internet.

17. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Isn't that kinda diluting life, the real deal, the experience? What is life but for the experience?

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There's more than one way to have an experience. I'm sure if you could bring one of your ancestors from before the Neolithic Revolution here for a visit, he'd rail at you for giving up the "experience" of chasing your own food across the landscape and sleeping in a different camp every night. How can you appreciate food that somebody just plops in front of you, already caught, slaughtered, butchered and cooked?

19. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Hmm. Yeah, I guess so. I can't apply my own ideals to others now..that wouldn't be right.