Science podcasts

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by francois, Nov 27, 2010.

1. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Does anybody listen to science podcasts?

I do. I started doing it when I had a lot of work do outside and also had an iPod. Then I realized you can download podcasts for free. So I found interesting programs, generally about science and technology. Most of them sucked. But there are a few that are pretty good. Brain Science podcast http://docartemis.com/brainsciencepodcast is really quite good. The interviewer knows her shit, asks good questions, and treats her interviewees really excellently.

Another good one is called The Naked Scientists. Easily the best science reporting I've ever encountered. Fantastic program. They touch on the most important recent stories, and also just interesting stuff that you won't find on other science news. Again, the reporters really know their shit. They're highly educated and eloquent people. It's British.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I've watched The Naked Archaeologist on TV, is it anything like that program?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure. They're definitely different producers, though the idea is probably similar. The Naked Scientists is science reporting. I highly, highly recommend at least giving it a try during your day commute, if you have one.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

8. woowoo Registered Senior Member

9. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Actually what I love about The Naked Scientists is that they don't dumb down the science. They speak quickly and precisely, but clearly. I remember them talking about some new discovery about how prozac works, and how it doesn't simply work its effects on serotonin, but that it also works by activating another gene involving norepinephrine or something. I don't remember the details, because it was quite in-depth. It's good stuff.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Listen to one of the Brain science podcasts and tell me what you think of them.

Here is one on glial cells:

http://brainsciencepodcast.libsyn.com/68_bsp_glial_cells_mp3

11. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Brain Science Podcast... yeah, I've been listening to her as well. I recommended it in the OP. I can see your point though. Hers are quite a bit more indepth, probably because the podcast is specifically about brain science.