Blood Alcohol Content

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Blindman, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Recently me and a drinking buddy played around with a breath tester to see how much we could drink before we went over the legal limit..

In six hours I had drunk 700ml of vodka. After waiting 30min I blew 0.04.
    My friend drank 350ml of vodka. Again waiting for 30min he blew 0.09.

I felt fine, he felt drunk.

He is 10kg heavier.

I have always have been able to drink a lot but I just thought I had some resistance to the affects, but it seems that I simply don't get a high blood alcohol level. Why I don't know.

I am wondering if anyone would know why? Is my liver better at processing, do I sweet it out? I know I don't piss it out as I only went to the loo twice to his 5.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Ahhhg....I drank 350ml of Vodka last night...and have a strawberry on my chin from falling off my bike when I when back for a second 350ml bottle.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

The answer lies with several factors, two of which you mentioned: Body mass and liver activity. There is also general body chemistry, alcohol absorption rate, amount of food in your GI tract, metabolic rate, pulse rate (heartbeat), physical activity and more. All of those can vary widely between individuals.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Age and sex also have something to with it as well. Then some people eat or drink stuff before they drink which also helps slow the rate of absorption of the alcohol.

8. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Wow. Its now about and hour latter. I have gone down to 0.03 and he is up to 0.10 and we have not had a drink since last post. We both ate the same meals. I did drink a little more water, about 200ml. My drinks where 1 to 1 vodka/orange juice his 1 to 3.

We measured our heart rates and his is 70 and im 80

He would get busted driving, drinking half of what I did and i would be free...

Im guessing liver function and will do a little research.

Would also love to know from anyone that has a breath tester. Their levels compared to quantity of alcohol. Please specify time to consume, quantity, body weight.
    Me 6hours, 700ml @ 37%alcohol, 91Kg, 0.04
    Him 6hours, 350ml @ 37%alcohol, 100kg, 0.09

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Does either one of you take medications of any type? That sometimes really makes a difference.

10. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Some orientals have a metabolism which does a good job of processing alcohol. It is an evolutionary adaptation. I do not remember the details of the article I read.

11. Blindman Valued Senior Member

From wiki we have discovered that his level are normal for the quantity he drunk and mine are very low. I do smoke he does not. We do not take any other drugs. He is still slurring his words and he says I am not.

More research on the way.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That's relevant information. The fact that you smoke and he does not means that your lungs are less efficient at expelling CO2 AND alcohol. Which, in turn, means your breath will contain a slightly lower alcohol content.

13. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

I was in the industry, and I understand it to be the opposite. Alcohol metabolism is a multi-step process. The first step actually makes alcohol more toxic (ie, converts it to acetaldehyde); the second step less toxic (ie, turns acetaldehyde into acetic acid). Some Asians have a weak second step due to insufficient enzyme, so the alcohol becomes more toxic, but their bodies can only weakly convert the acetaldehyde to the less toxic acetic acid. This can make them violently sick, pounding headaches, flushed face, etc.

Antabuse medication also blocks the enzyme in the second step, and people on Antabuse who drink suffer the same effects as above.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I had to look that up to translate those silly Frenchy numbers into English. Good grief, that's about three cups of vodka! Vodka is typically 40% alcohol, so you had about ten ounces of alcohol in six hours! The rule of thumb is that you can ingest about one ounce per hour without going over the standard USA drunk-driving limit of .08%. And I think that's really generous: after the third shot in the third hour, I wouldn't ride home with any of those guys!

You're getting close to twice that dosage, so it's a miracle you're still conscious. Your friend's experience and BAC level is closer to typical.

Everybody's different, so be grateful for your difference! Assuming you like the taste of vodka. I stick to beer or Sambuca, no more than two in one night.

15. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I think I will have to conduct my own research...

16. Blindman Valued Senior Member

:cheers:Rocker.
    Yes I know that my level is about 4 times lower then it should be.:shrug: We have a police standards breath tester and I blew several times to make sure there was no error.. I blew the same each time. My mate has passed out on the couch and im still running high. In fact I have had another approx 150ml but cant do a level check as it takes about 20-30 min to get a correct reading.

In Australia the limit is 0.05, and the vodka is 37.5%.

Im thinking I should go to the pub and start having some drinking comps... LOL

Wish I could do a piss test or blood test as that would resolve if its a lung problem, but I feel fine and its now 2am here in Western Australia.

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Please note that I did not say it was JUST a lung thing. I also listed many other factors earlier which you seem to be ignoring. (Either that or you are too drunk to even remember.)

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Are you sure your test wasn't sneakily a double blind?

19. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I am testing this as I read......no meter though, just the rum.

20. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Well its the day after and I was very sick this morning and my friend was not..

We tested again around 9 this morning and I blew 0.0 and he still had 0.01.

Well the party season is coming up and I will be taking the tester along and hope to do some more research samples.

21. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Maybe you were bitten by a radioactive hobo...and now have super-drinking powers.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I think your tester is broken or you didn't blow in it long enough. There are variations based on the factors mentioned above but even so I doubt ANYONE could drink 19 standed drinks and stay under 0.05. Actually I think someone might have stolen your vodka and replaced it with water because that much should almost kill you

23. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I do not think 700 ml in 6 hours is close to lethal.
    I am not sure about how long it takes alcohol to metabolize. Spacing the drinking over 6 hours should surely cut down on the effects.

Something seems amiss if one drank 700 ML & the other drank 350 ml, resulting in readings of .04 & .09 respectively. An hour later the reading were .03 & .10? That much variation in two individuals seems very strange. It would seem strange if they both drank the same amount & had readings that far apart.

I once drove three friends home in a convertible & was stopped by the police because they were singing & waving flags. The cops tested us all because they all insisted that they were not too drunk to drive. I hardly registered because I had drunk very little. They registered fairly close to each other & just under the legal limit, which surprised the police.

BTW: The vodka I have on hand for friends is 100 proof, which is 50% by volume. Does vodka come less than 80 proof (40%)?

I drink wine & put Irish cream liquor in coffee about twice a week when I go out to dinner & have no personal experience with hard liquor. I have a few friends who are borderline problem dirinkers. I do not think that 700ml of 75 proof booze over 6 hours would put any of them as high as .09