Chaos

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by merryprankster, Nov 22, 2010.

1. merryprankster Registered Member

I'm doing a speech on chaos, why we fear it, and why we should actually embrace it.

I have some thoughts on about our fear to admit that we don't have it all together, and our fear that there is no real order to anything.

I'm really curious to hear everyone's thoughts, either responding to mine or about chaos in general. I need some thoughts to get my own thought process going.

Thanks a lot!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

so you want to understand the "process" (not chaotic) so you can accept chaos? ok

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. merryprankster Registered Member

No need for sarcasm. I mean (though poorly phrased, I agree) some jumping off points. That's all.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Too much order, and our brains crave novelty, too much chaos and our brains crave order. Our minds aren't set up to handle too much novelty.Given too much novelty, we decompensate (AKA, Flip out).

But beyond our brains just being lazy and liking to take shortcuts...I suspect that our brains are hardwired to prefer order, and there's a very logical reason why: in an orderly situation, the results of your actions are predictable. This means doing something random and innocuous won't get you killed, maimed, or cast out of a group (to primitive man, a probable death sentence).

So in a chaotic environment, anything you do might/might not be horrifically dangerous. Scary stuff, no?