Who will we live with each other?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by joepistole, Nov 19, 2010.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

How will we live together one day in the future when we are all reduced to living on a little bit of hardware in some super quantum computer somewhere in this or another universe?

Better yet, how will we decide to migrate to such a condition? I suspect it will be a gradual process of integration. First we start supplementing our mental abilities with chips and our bodies with various sorts of hardware. Before you know it, we will be more machine that human.

What will religious folk think of the transitition? Will there still be a God? Would sex matter anymore? Would anything matter any more? How would we govern ourselves? Would we still be fighting over ownership of this and that? Would ownership even matter?

How could we compete with each other if we all had the same skills? What would happen to individuality? Would being part of collective consciousness be fun or scary? I vote for scary. And how long will it take us to get to this state? Given the advancements of the last 100 years, I would not be suprised to see us in this state with in the 100 - 200 years - something to think about when you want to scare yourself.

At somepoint, you could probably down load your memories into a new custom made biological body and exist in two places at the same time.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Us becoming Borg is a long way off. I don't see computers enhancing our brains and if such a thing happened, we'd become a living computer, not a brain with attachments.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Huh?....Are you trying to say assimilation is futile??

Where have I heard that before?...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

don't be afraid. this is what the apocalypse is for.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Do...not...resist the...Borg.. SZZZZZZZZ

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Because we will all become Bi-nary and be acbe to switch around allot. Movement inside a device as you describe will be forever changing with everyone traveling places inside every second of eternaty.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  10. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i'm not sure i understand why people bring up this cyborg of the future scenario when we know how amazing, intricate, and complex the human body is, and the rather obvious potential that's there, not to mention the probable potential that's not obvious at this time. neuroscience alone is, pardon the pun, mind-blowing.

my hypothesis is that people are intimated by the power, and implied accountability, that resides in the human body.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Doesn't mean that others have a right to a differnt viewpoint does it?

12. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

you mean a cyborg viewpoint?

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I was thinking a futurists point of view. What we evolve into or perhaps want to make ourselves into can be determined by humans not cyborgs.

14. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

it just seems obvious to me that we would be limiting ourselves...taking a giant leap backwards, not forwards.

it's kind of a catch 22. if the human mind is capable of programming such a thing, then what does it need the thing for?

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

At some point in the far distant future, it will become necessary to leave our solar system as the Sun is destined to die. And when that time comes, we will find our current bodies are not well designed for the hazzards of space travel.

It seems to me that when that time comes, assuming it does come and unless we can overcome the tremendous technical challenges, we will find our current bodies woefully inadequate for space travel.

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

well what has always worked in the past, that being survival of the fittest and human evolution, has never (to my knowledge) included implanting electronics. the abilities or our dna and the complexity of it, surpasses that of anything mechanical we could create. don't you think?

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Longer life, no diseases instant knowledge and on and on. Think about it, if something breaks all you do is replace it.

18. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

This is currently in process and for the good IMHO.

The next 50 years are going to be real fun if you can hang in there. Ray Kurzweil and co have some entertaining insights/dreams/visions and many of those are getting in reach now.

I started out in bionics and love where that field is heading. Don't try to look so far ahead though, try for just a few years beyond where we are now. This is really going to be fun!

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Our advancing technology is going to challenge every aspect of our society. It will challenge our religious values; our family values; and our political values.

We are already wrestling with relatively simple changes like cloning and experimenting with human cells. I think we have seen nothing compared to what is around the corner. Are we ready for the changes? Sometimes I think not.

What will rich folk do when wealth looses its value? How will we treat the least among us?

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

you can do all of that with genetics too.

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

the same...maybe worse. after all, they'll be machines.

22. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

and how many ppl 'escape reality' one way or another?
    they can then program their world to be perfect....
    All Praise to the Great IT..
    But i thought you said it wouldn't fit?
    Matter won't matter..
    anyway i want..I'll program my own little corner of cyberspace..
    This ones mine! stay out of my reality,
    if Matter don't matter,money don't matter
    I'll let you into my reality if you are entertaining..
    stored at SGVhdmVu
    Fun..Hey..someone let a Squirrel into the collective...
    its about IF..
    do not underestimate humanity's ability to overthink anything..
    IE.. they wont do it cause to many ppl will throw doubt into the mix...