This would be a fun Facebook friend experiment

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by science man, Nov 19, 2010.

1. I don't know how many of you guys have a Facebook but if you do I have a fun little question for you. If you clicked on your friends of friends and then you friends of friends of friends ect. how long do you think it would take to get back to one of your friends?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

How many years would it take to calculate this with a computer designed for it? I mean a program,lol. Is it even possible?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Not long if you know a lot of people.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Me - 1 - 2 - 3 - 1

8. JuNie Registered Senior Member

I got back to my friends pretty quickly. Each of my friends has at least 200 people on their list. So each time you click on a friend that could grow exponentially.

9. Ok I just tried it and noticed that when I got to someone who I had no friends in common with, I could see who their friends were.

10. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Tried it, turns out, I am related to Kevin Bacon!

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Seriously? One click. As soon as I click on a friend of a friend, we have our friend in common because well, he is the friend of a friend.

12. The experiment only works if yoiu get to someone you have no mutual friends with.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Nope, because as soon as you click on the friend of a friend, you will have a mutual friend in common. Its impossible to click on the friend of a friend and not have a mutual friend. Unless the experiment is described all wrong.

14. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I know Dave, but not Mark or Luke.

Me - Dave - Mark - Luke - Dave

15. Ya I didn't realize that you can't see the frinds of a friend of a friend of a friend.

16. deicider got omnicidead Registered Senior Member

Science man conquers internet networking.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You can but they since the "of a friend" is non-negotiable, that "of a friend" will always be present from the first click.

e.g. My friend Jan has a friend Mark, who I do not know. When I click on Mark, Jan is our mutual friend.

edit: I have to qualify my comment. Apparently you can only see friends of friends if the privacy settings are set for that level of visibility. With the new privacy settings available you can restrict your friends list so that only mutual friends are visible to other friends.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  18. sigh ok here's what I mean. Using your example, when you click on one of Marks friends who you don't know, can you see their friends? I'm saying didn't realize that you couldn't.

Eedit: if you have a mutual friend with the friend you click on, that doesn't count.