Hot Sauce Lovers

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by jmpet, Nov 14, 2010.

1. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I have been on a hot pepper quest for a couple of years since I discovered bhut jolokia- a pepper so hot, it's not edible.

I have made several batches or real hot sauce and distributed them to hot heads who all go nuts over this stuff.

This year I plan to make my hottest sauce yet- I bought poundage of harvested fresh bhut jolokias to which I add poundage of orange habaneros. Plus my secret ingredients. This stuff WILL kick your ass- it'll be something you use two drops at a time.

Any other hot heads out there?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Is that the same thing as a "ghost chili"?..If so, I have tried that ONCE..

Doubt I ever will again...I like hot, but that's beyond my idea of hot.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I am a huge fan of hot sauce.
    I don't think there's any such thing an an inedible hot sauce. It's just that some of them need to be used in the proper proportions.

I don;t like bitter hot sauces however. There's a sauce sold around here called "Dave's insanity" that has a good burn, but he cayanne pepper taste is far too concentrated and whatever I've used it in turns out much too bitter.

My current favorite is this:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Gives a nice sustained 15 minute burn + has an awesome flavor

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I am developing something at least as hot as that. One ingredient in the sauce is capsacin. I want something that will kick your mammas ass. And I am doing it scientifically. My goal is to develop a hot sauce that can also be used as mace

8. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

You mean, you're adding capsaicin from a source other than the peppers?

9. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Yup. "Pure Cap"

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Had to look it up...yes..it's a ghost chili...with a scoville rating of 850,000- 1,000,000!! Santa Maria! Talk about being at war with your butthole! Jalapenos give unbearable heartburn...I couldn't imagine what that molten lava would do to me!

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Here is very informative link with many hot peppers rated, pictured, some text about each and photos of most of their commercial bottles. (That is helpful as names vary from one country to another.):

http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale.php

Hottest listed is pure capsacin crystals, which are 16 million Scoville units strong or 3,200 times hotter than a jalapeño. Associated text warns you to use extreme caution when opening the bottle.

Here is the link's text about bhut jolokia:

"The Bhut/Naga/Bih Jolokia pepper is a chile pepper found naturally in the army garrison town of Tezpur, in the north-eastern state of Assam, India. It is a naturally occurring chile and holds the Guinness World Record for the world's hottest pepper. The Bhut Jolokia is also know as The "Ghost Chili/Chile", Nagahari, Naga Jolokia, Bih Jolokia, Borbih, Raja Mircha, Raja Chilli, Mirch, Mircha, Naga Moresh, Naga Morich, Tezpur, Bih Jolokia and Bhwt Jolokiya (with possible slight variations).

Here, from above link, is photo of it:

It's Scoville rating ranges between: 855,000 - 1,041,427

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010
  12. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Great link Billy T.

I've made some salsas using orange harbaneros. I love their flavour, nice and bitter with a piquant freshness, the heat is very (very) strong so I use very small pieces (about half the size of a match head). It's a great way to use these wonderful chillies. I might only use a quarter on one chillie in a bowl of salsa. Plenty enough to raise a sweat.

The first time a tried a harbanero, I had a small bite, my lips were hanging down to my navel for about half an hour but I came back for more.

I've tried bhut jolokias too (the very first ones in Australia). They are mean little bastards. Definitely handle with care.

My tolerance to extremely hot chillies has reduced over the years (natural age related sensibilities I think) but I still love hot chillies. I crave them.

There's local company, Disaster bay chillies, who make a wonderful chipotle sauce, smoked garlic, locally grown and smoked chipotles. Good stuff!

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Capsacin is the active agent in hot peppers and one of seven agents found in foods for which there is some scientific evidence that they may suppress or kill prostate cancer cells. Once each day, I take all seven in a "shot gun" approach as I have very low but not zero PSA even after my prostate was removed three years ago.

Drugs exist which can drive my PSA down to undetectable levels but they will loss their effectiveness in a few years, so I did a lot of research mainly at PubMed to find these seven agents. I periodically step the drug dose down to zero as there is growing evidence that that may extend the period before the drugs lose control.

I monitor my PSA during these drug free periods and when it gets back to or near 0.1, I briefly resume the drugs. I had taken my 7-agent cocktail for slightly more than 100 days along with the drugs when I made my first "cure test" hoping my 7-agents had indeed kill all the prostate cells, but after 109 days my PSA had climbed back to 0.07 so I resumed use of the drugs. (Full does for ~2weeks, then small steps down to zero dose over about 8 weeks.) I am now in my second drug free test, but this time I continue to take my 7 agent cocktail. It was not a cure but, I hope, it may be as good as the drugs in keeping PSA very low. The drugs are about 25 times more expensive and have several undesirable side effect.

I am slightly concerned about possible side effect of the capascin I am taking. Every day I eat about 18 of the tiny (1cm long and 2mm in diameter) version of Malagueta Pepper, shown and discussed at the link. (60,000 Scoville strong) I chew them well to crush the seeds in cocktail with most of the other agents. I get a mild burning in mouth and stomach for 10 minutes or so even though I eat dinner immediately after wards. Very rarely (less than once per month) there is a detectable but very mild burn with bowl elimination.

Does anyone have link or information about long term chronic use of Capsacin?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010
  14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

My favourite hot sauce at the moment is the Chinese chili garlic sauce - I like to mix it up with mayonnaise for a dip and cheese for a sandwich spread.

- there is also a Brazilian hot sauce I like but the name escapes me right now. There is a Portuguese hot sauce called piri piri which I have heard about and am curious to try

15. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

The piri piri is definitely the pepper I am taking (see post 10) – See also discussion of Malagueta Pepper at the link I gave. (Use fact it has 60,000 Scoville units to quickly find in that long list, if list is not alphabetical .)

The “Brazilian hot sauce” is probably also made of these tiny peppers although a couple of other types are also available but less common. They all come in bottle with vinegar, which one shakes out thru the tiny hole. In many cases the pepper are already ground up so everything comes out with shaking. I buy for 10R$ (~ 7$) a big bottle of unground peppers (400gm dry weight) and remove the plastic cap with its tiny hole. I don't use the ground up hot sauce ("Molho de Pimenta") as cannot be sure of what it is. These bottles with unground peppers are often on the tables at resturants - I think they keep adding vinegar several times to lower cost.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I used to buy my Brazilian hot sauce from a coffee bean store in Chicago. It was very good quality sauce, pretty hot and had a very distinct aroma which I assume comes from roasting the peppers.

You asked about long term effect of capsaicin. Well I am a chronic chili eater along with many other Indians. Capsaicin acts on neurotransmitters and prolonged use can deplete the neurotransmitters blunting the pain sensation and blocking the inflammatory effect of capsacin - basically in lay parlance, you get used to the heat of the pepper if you keep on taking it. However, if you avoid capsaicin for some time, the neurotransmitters are replenished.

Almost forgot - I also like Busha Browne's Pukka Hot Sauce. hot and yum

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  17. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

You could make the ultimate army like that. Soldiers who know no pain.

I guess the Taliban found a similar solution by using opium.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It doesn't deplete all neurotransmitters - only the vanilloid ones associated with it

19. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

I guess they ultimate army should be ok then if they are opposing an army armed with pepper spray.

20. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

You know, long term studies isolating a variable like that can be costly, and if there is not enough demand it might be tough to find. I mean there could very well be nothing conclusive on the subject, and different opinions from different doctors.

But my gut says hot peppers are going to damage digestive organs quicker than water. And so most likely there will be some damage.

There are so many cultures where every meal is flaming hot. So a mild burning in your mouth sounds pretty negligible when compared with the rest of the world. And with the benefits in your case, I think you are doing the right thing.

-
    [non-professional opinion]

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Again, I doubt it. The Scoville heat scale for standard police pepper spray is around 5,300,000 SHU, common pepper spray is about a third of that strength. Food grade hot sauces are all under 1,000,000 SHU.

http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp

22. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

In this city, the best spice comes from Sichuan peppers. They peculiarly can numb your entire mouth.

23. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Could bears get a taste for pepper spray if you spray them enough?