"Garfield" creator apologizes for Veterans Day strip

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by cosmictraveler, Nov 12, 2010.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Thursday's strip showed a spider warning the comic's featured cat, the lazy and overweight Garfield, that if the feline "squishes" him, an annual day of remembrance will be held in his honor.

Garfield, who frequently crushes spiders in the series, apparently is undeterred and the strip closes with a classroom of spiders being asked why they celebrate "National Stupid Day."

The cartoon drew such Internet comments as "Surely this isn't in the best of taste for Armistice Day/Veterans Day'' and that Garfield creator Jim Davis "is way off the mark with this cartoon. Shame on him."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...gK2jDw&usg=AFQjCNEhLsWXqViSU18LyB-yq6UOIZUlaQ

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    There are actually people who read Garfield ?

Maybe there's a use for this "National Stupid Day" after all.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I swear it. Some people just look around for things to be offended by... sickening

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I'm offended by your face!! Sickening!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

j/k

8. FreshHat Registered Senior Member

That witless hack should apologise for every one of those humourless, brainless Garfield strips.

9. krreagan Registered Senior Member

C'mon guy's he wrote the cartoon almost a year ago! Find something else to bitch about

KRR

10. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I'm offended by this thread..:bugeye:

11. superstring01 Moderator

My thoughts exactly.

~String

12. RobertTen Registered Member

Garfield is funny. But I can understand people being offended, because alot of people have either gone through hell fighting in wars, or they have lost loved ones to wars. I feel like Jim Davis is entitled to his own opinion, but he probably should have kept that joke to himself. I think he feels the same way now, because he wound up apologizing.

13. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Lasagna Cat is the best thing to come from the Garfield comic strip.

14. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

This.

15. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Davis didn't write this cartoon to be published on Veterans Day. He wrote it a year ago and, as luck would have it, it happened to be published on Veterans Day. He didn't apologize for the cartoon itself, but for the timing of its publication that made it look like an insult to veterans.

16. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

The timing of the release of the the cartoon say more about the editors and the news media, than it says anything about Davis.

17. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

In fairness, maybe it never occurred to them. I saw the cartoon and didn't make any immediate and obvious connection to Veterans Day.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So let me get this right. The editor apologised over a cartoon because some people were offended?

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That's right, the editor thought that the cartoon was published on the wrong day but the cartoon still ran and was not deleted. Unnlike some countries which are state run and the cartoon never would have been able to be published and if it was the editor might have been jailed.

20. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

where are you going with this Sam ?

21. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

I don't necessarily see a tie in to veterans. . . if veterans see a tie in, maybe sub-consciously, the intelligent ones at least, realize their mistake, that they've been had by the military-industrial-corporate-complex? I mean, after all, that would be the only reason to get upset here, wouldn't it?

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Meh, it's just because they can't point at Jim Davis and say (without political backlash) "Jim's a Commie Pinko".