Cognitive Dulling-what is happening?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I take a pretty hefty dose of Lithium daily. My once near-perfect memory is now a shambles. I have trouble remembering what words mean sometimes, or sometimes what store I've meant to go to as I enter a parking lot. I lose the car all the time, and will forget a thought in a second.

It's not that it's going into a grinder or something, though. I tend to be able to remember quite a bit of things about a week or two after the fact. Things I had forgotten come back, which cause some odd moments if it was a point I was trying to make last week, which I say aloud as if in the conversation still.

Needless to say, it's tres bizarre. I'm taking ritalin to try to counter it, and it helps some. I'm wondering if anyone knows what is physically occurring during this whole process. Should I be worried about long term effects? Anything else I can do to fight it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. historicfuture Registered Member

ya dont deserve the few seconds it took me to post this because ur not going to listen but here you go a perfect solution:

drop the drugs (slowly, mind you) dont pick up new ones stop all common sense bad habits and start eating oranges and raw eggs only. oh and don't worry about the science behind it you already f#%ed up by taking Ritalin so pretty much anything is better than that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Are you bi-polar?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Tremor is an irreversible side effect of long term lithium use. Query: do you have bipolar disorder or some other mood disorder?

Also, watch out for weight gain.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  8. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

bipolar with psychotic features.

raw eggs and oranges probably won't help too much.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. historicfuture Registered Member

shows how much you know lol

it's merely fuel for your body. without the contaminants that got you in the shit hole you're in now.

if you think your fucking psychiatrist can tell what neurotransmitter balance your brain is in (hint: it's constantly changing) and pills at fixed times can help with that or any pill whatsoever, you don't deserve to live happy and sane. Only your own body can truly heal such a complicated problem (because our current tech and knowledge can NOT). To allow it to do that you have to stop introducing problems, and yet give it what it needs. Oranges, raw eggs, and common sense in the rest of your lifestyle will accomplish this.

It might also save you some money.

Go ahead throw the money at the people killing you instead, rather than make me rich by buying into my orange and raw egg monopoly. Lmfao.

10. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Do you have any sources or links regarding this raw egg and fruit diet?

I would love to see them.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Pseudoscience nonsense. Lack of protein and vitamin C causes bi-polar disorder? LOL

12. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I dunno. I know lithium has made it so that I make more responsible decisions in general. I know that when I have been off lithium, my decisions were, well, a bit irrational.

BTW, why don't you start your own thread about your miracle diet instead of hijacking my question?

13. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Like that time you posted your phone number? That was awesome!

14. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

hehe yeah.

At least most of those decisions can be laughed at, though.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I was gonna call you one day, but I never got the chance. Hey, how has everything been since we spoke?

16. historicfuture Registered Member

the saddest thing to me is none of you will live long enough to discover your retarded reasoning skills. the world is literally full of shitminded people. I was trying to wake you up to the fact that your erroneous diets were one of the main causes.

17. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

As a shitminded person, I have to say that you give me diarrhea.

18. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

OH MY GOD! how did you know I had a shit diet? Please tell me how I can change it and attain immortality by changing it!
    I am lost without you my savior! Please enlighten my burdened soul!:worship:

19. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

30-40 years ago when bipolar was called manic-depressive, I had a friend with the problem. He took lithium.

I am surprised that a better drug has not been developed since then.

He got into a lot of trouble when he stopped using lithium. When manic he became violent; When depressive, he became self destructive. He considered the side effects bad & had serious problems for a long time.

He managed to cut down on his lithium dosage by keeping a detailed log or diary of his actions. When he stopped or cut down on the lithium, he compared his current actions to those in the log which caused him trouble. When he started feeling a compulsion to repeat actions similar to those which had caused trouble, he would take the lithium. He often called me & other friends to help him convince himself to take the lithium and/or avoid the trouble causing behavior.

20. M00se1989 Banned Banned

... the past your trying to forget is deleting your memories?

21. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I am bi-polar with psychotic episodes- the same thing as you. I take 150 Effexor (anti-depressant) and 2 Risperdal (anti-psychotic). I am normal as long as I take them. I do have memory lapses but they're short-term and they fill themselves in with the right cue but I am otherwise functional.

You're on the heavy stuff. I tried it and felt my brain dying. Get off the heavy stuff and go lite.

22. SomethingClever Registered Senior Member

call me crazy, tar and feather me, but I actually agree.

I genuinely believe that diet is the biggest cause of most illness (including depression). Somehow nutrition gets mostly overlooked in the medical community. I'm currently in college and have roomed with two Bio majors primed to become doctors. Both had miserable diets and upon constant interrogation I discovered that their field taught them literally nothing in terms of diet and nutrition. What a tragedy. I fear that our doctors have been trained to treat the symptom and not the cause. And my instinct tells me that the cause of many problems is nutrition.

For what it's worth, I grew up in a town ripe with creative, healthy people (near Yosemite, the common interest being the National Park)
    A major theme in this town is local, organically grown food. It is rare that you will find a home with a box of Cheez-Its, but it's quite common to find refrigerators full of organic eggs and tofu and almond milk. (I work at the local grocery store, and know all the local's shopping habits; population 2000)

anyway, I challenge anyone with mental or physical ailments to take up a lifestyle of healthy diet and exercise. I understand the reluctance, because it means your health is up to you, but I truly believe life will improve, hopefully in ways that make you smile with joy.