Overweight Couples on TV

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mickmeister, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I have read a lot of different articles about the recent TV show Mike and Molly. There is a lot of protest about putting morbidly obese people on TV. My thoughts are that I have no problems with obese people, but to put it on TV will make it even more acceptable in society, which is the last thing we need in a time when obesity is an epidemic.

Here are a couple of the articles:

Plus-sized article spurs heavy debate

Marie Claire

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As long as the writing is good and the actors "fit" the roles then I really don't see any problems with that at all. We already glamorize murderers, rapists and terrorists . The problem I see is that the writing won't be done that well and the show will be canceled not because of the weight but just bad writing or bad acting. 90 percent of new shows fail, so good luck to them.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

So, are you implying that the fit and the beautiful are underrepresented on TV? That reminds me of a scene from the Last Action Hero:

Danny Madigan: Where are the ordinary, everyday women? They don't exist because this is a movie!
    Jack Slater: No, this is California. ​

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Putting attractive, fit people on TV hasn't stopped the obesity rate in America from climbing, has it? Generally speaking, I think that people are going to look however they're going to look (in terms of weight, muscle tone, etc.) regardless of what they see in the media. I'd like to avoid politically-motivated casting in TV shows and movies, if at all possible.

And I think the woman who plays Molly in Mike & Molly is cute. :shrug:

8. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

Nope. In fact I think most of the ultra-slim are repulsive. Chubby is hot, but morbidly obese is not

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

But the question is, must every actor/actress be hot? People like seeing the occasional regular guy on TV. Thus the popularity of The Honeymooners, Roseanne, etc.

10. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

Doesn't this always happen with a taboo topic on television? They are afraid people will reject it because it's against the grain, but if the show is well written people tend to have no problem with adversity or characters who are different and just like being entertained above all else. They were afraid of how Modern Family would be received and LOST for having an Iraqi character... but neither the happy gay couple nor Sayid made people too uncomfortable to watch the shows.

11. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

If we got rid of obesity, wouldn't this be a non-issue?

12. jmpet Valued Senior Member

With ABSOLUTELY nothing else on, I grudingly watched "half a woman" on TV. That was quickly followed by progeric children- 6 year olds who are 60 in body. Then I turned the TV off.