My psychiatrist is the who is mad?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Cat_with_no_eyes, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Cat_with_no_eyes Registered Senior Member

Everything my shrink tells me is crap. None of it makes any sense at all. I asked her what manic depression is. She said, "You mean maniac depression?" I swear she's the dumbest lady on the planet. She thinks a nervous breakdown involves a car. She thinks bi-polar is a bear that likes both genders. Once she diagnosed a strep throat patient of having a depressed tongue. I'd bet her a hundred pounds she doesn't know what a compulsive gambler is. The lady has no clue. All she can do is accuse me of some stupid mental disorder that I don't even have

So do I sound mad to you ??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Not at all, you only sound confused about how to choose a good psychiatrist because it seems the one you have isn't who you need.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. answers Registered Senior Member

Sounds like you need a new psychiatrist or psychologist. You could probably take a look at your symptoms and compare them to what is listed in the DSM IV and then go from there.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Why are you seeing a psychiatrist? Also, people usually don't call bipolar disorder "manic depression" anymore. That is considered dated terminology, at least in the USA.

8. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

The contribution of psychiatry to society is generally negative. I believe that mental illness is actually caused by psychiatric coercion.

9. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Geez... Apparently none of ya have a sense of humor..

She was joking...It's pretty obvious...

Ya don't get it?...Bi-Polar...A bear that likes both genders?:bugeye:

10. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Exactly.

"I'd bet her a hundred pounds she doesn't know what a compulsive gambler is."

Come on people...

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I was wondering how long it was going to take to figure that out. "Maniac depression"??? She couldn't have gotten her M.D. diploma with Roseanne Roseannadanna Syndrome.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, you are quite probably mad.

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I dunno. I once had a genetics advisor that didn't know what "sire effects" were. I just stared at her in the meeting, trying to decide what kind of a joke it was, before I realized she wasn't joking. You never quite know what a person's bizarre blind spot might be.

But I do agree with SG that you are quite mad.

14. Cat_with_no_eyes Registered Senior Member

It's only by chance n' careful planning if you're not

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  15. Cat_with_no_eyes Registered Senior Member

Not only is she a hypocrite, but she looks like a hippo and she should be locked in a crate. A hippo-crate. The lady gets paid hundreds to look like a slug and write prescriptions for Ritalin. She's so dumb. The only psychology term she knows is ADD. There's nothing more ironic than being diagnosed with ADD by a therapist who didn't pay attention to a word I said. Most people get addicted to Ritalin. My shrink is addicted to giving out Ritalin.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

So you really do have a psychiatrist, that part of the O.P. was true? I strongly recommend non-M.D. psychotherapists for two reasons:
    • 1. Only M.D.s can write prescriptions. Everyone else has to do their job the hard way, by figuring out what is inside you, the individual sitting across from them during that appointment.
    • 2. Most psychiatrists are Freudians, because medical schools are just about the only institutions that still teach Freud. Most anywhere else, they teach Jung's ideas. My family has had experience with both Freudian and Jungian therapy, and there's no comparison. The Freudians are more likely to fit you into a model they already have. A Jungian will try to understand you as an individual. Not to mention that Jung took Freud's work and expanded it to make it more adaptable to people of all genders, social classes, nationalities and other characteristics. If you're not a young, middle-class, 19th-century Swiss male, you might have great difficulty fitting into Freud's paradigm.
    If this lady isn't working for you, find someone else. Shrinks are like any other profession, you may have to try three or four before you find the one with whom you really click, and it will be worth the trouble.

If you don't know anyone who can give you a recommendation, call the Jung Society. If you live in a city of any size there are probably a few Jungian therapists working there.

If you've stumbled onto one of the rare Jungian psychiatrists, and she's this bad, well then you've just had some horribly bad luck. It's time to move beyond it and get yourself some competent help. You're in charge, so take charge! Fire her and go shopping for her replacement, now that you have a somewhat better idea of what to look for.