Alfred Adler - why has no one heard of him?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Lilalena, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Lilalena Registered Senior Member

I took a class on Alfred Adler's ideas a couple of years ago and - after an introduction to Freud and Klein, his were the only ones that made any sense. I even thought he made perfect sense. (We were using the Ansbacher textbook.)

I just realized I have an unanswered question

In spite of
    1) being considered one of the 3 fathers of depth psychology
    2) a co-founder of Freud's psychoanalytic movement
    3) Freud's chosen successor
    4) Being finally banned by Freud
    5) the only one to come near to a definitive concept of madness (a near total lack of social feeling)

among many other things...

Why has he seemingly been erased from history..? No 5. alone seemed certain to elevate him to god status in these times. And all of this besides his theories themselves (my opinion only - he seems the only sane one of the 3).

Possible explanations:
    A. He was not such a great writer ( he's a little confusing and repetitive, and ...boring) and Freud was a GENIUS writer, absolutely compelling even thrilling to read.
    B. In response to Nazism, Adler (Jewish) supposedly renounced his faith and converted to Catholicism

I have a strong feeling its B.

Okay, this is all my opinion - I don't want to get into a discussion about whose theories are greater than Adler's.

I'm only posting just in case there are others out there wondering the same thing about Adler...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010