Are you afected by other people's judgement on your 'likes' or 'dislikes'?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by ejderha, Oct 11, 2010.

1. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

We have been having some discussions among friends about how people are afected by their communities, friends' judgements on their music,movie or fashion...etc. taste.

This came up when some claimed that a person's 'taste' in anything, by all means is result of education and intelligence level, and so there is a superior taste in music, movies and everything. And of course there was an objection to this, claiming that people can enjoy everything if they want and artistic or any other preference is not originated by a person's intelligence or education.

And some people blamed each other because of following stupid tv shows, listening 'lame' music or spending ridiculous amounts of money to silly things they like.

Well it was funny, but more than that it's fascinating to watch how much people are concerned what others think about their taste!

I am a traditional target because I follow pop culture as much as I can, watch stupid tv shows and movies. But I guess as I do it openly, somehow I am more bearable than the 'hiding' individuals.

What do you think?

Do you have any guilty pleasures? Something you do, but don't tell your friends, or anybody because you think they'll find it 'lame'?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Yes. Learning physics.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I'm not even remotely affected by what others like or dislike. I make my own choices based on what appeals to me personally. And I most certainly do NOT have any interest in the so-called "cultures." A big part about growing up and becoming an adult is to set your OWN path regardless of what anyone else might think. (If the world is full of lemmings, it's their own fault they never grew up.)

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

I don’t feel that it is something that we can completely stop. We are a social species and it is how we learn. It’s not necessarily a bad thing. You have to care what others think to some extent. No one wants to develop antisocial behavior. Even us grownups…

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I *am* interested in what others think - that's exactly why I'm here.

But those who allow others to dictate (or strongly influence) what their personal tastes should be have a problem. They are exhibiting their lack of maturity and and a fair degree of insecurity. A truly mature person should be easily able to determine such things on their own without any external influence.

9. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

Yes, I agree with you. But I couldn't understand why learning physics would be a guilty pleasure. Because, for example in my community, that's one of the greatest things a person can do to themselves. It shows that you have an inquisitive mind and you are a curious person. I am not exegerating, here it would help you get laid.

I was talking about more trivial pop culture stuff. One of my friends -a close friend- didn't talk with me for 3 days because I said that I watch and find hillarious that American tv show called Supernatural (I think it's finished there), because it's so lame and how can a person of my intelligence and education can have actual pleasure in such a form of entertainment.

By the way, don't get it wrong I am not something special,no, it's just about how people take the whole thing.

10. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

I agree with you and that's my position too. But you have to admit it's a very difficult path to follow. If you really experienced what we are talking about here, then you know it's hell of a place to be most of the times as when others are a 'group' even in conflict and you are one outcast no matter how much you are wanted and loved. And it starts when you are very young like as 9-10. So I am not sure if it's about being an adult.

11. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

I’m a female. I don’t have any trouble getting laid, but thank you!

Trust me. I’m not claiming to be intelligent, just curious. However, there is a tad bit of anti-intellectualism in America. The average adult doesn’t even know why the sky is blue, nor do they care to know. The average high school teacher doesn’t know that rainbows are polarized.

I’ll give you an example. My mother broke her leg. We went to the E.R. and I knew her physician. He had asked me out before. I’ve always gotten strange looks from people who noticed what I was reading. So, I started removing the book covers, but you’d be amazed at how many people yank the books from my hands. This physician did. He then proceeded to tell everyone what I was reading. It was the “Principles of Physical Cosmology” P.J.E. Peebles. The smartass nurse said “Oh, I thought it was a book on cosmetology.” Hmmm…Now that I think about it, maybe she wasn’t a smartass, just a dumbass.

So there you have it. Only my family and a few friends know that I have an interest in it. It’s just easier that way...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Of course it's about being an adult. And I agree with you also that it can be VERY difficult when you're a kid and desperate to fit in the 'group.' But as you mature you will (or at least should) find that "fitting in" isn't that important at all. Now... keep in mind that we're talking about only trivial things here - like music, fashion, TV shows, etc.

For example, I have a good, close friend who like to watch the so-called "reality shows" on TV. I view them as totally absurd and a complete waste of time. Another likes professional wrestling. Not for me! But I suppose if you are into big hulking guys doing ballet (since every move is rehearsed to the hilt and the timing has to be perfect), then I can understand it little - but still want NONE of it myself.

And fashion. I know people who spend tremendous amounts trying to keep up with the latest trends/fads. While my only interest in that area is clothes that do their jobs - fit well, keep me cool or warm, and are socially acceptable. And that whole bit is another prime example of people feeling and acting out their personal insecurities.

13. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

Oh, I get it. We have that sort of people. They are relatively a new group though. 10-15 years. And weirdly mostly found in secular communities. They say things like; "I am here to get what I can, not studying it." They behave like it's a law of nature that's been overlooked before. I have no idea what that means, but they don't like me that I know,lol.

Could this be a some sort of situation pictured in American movies as "nerd culture"?

14. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

I think it depends on who you hang with. I don't really like following politics all that much I find it boring. However when I started hanging around with my grandmother all of the time she was really into it and I enjoyed the conversations and debates that we would have. So I bit the bullet and became a little more savvy in politics because it was worth it to me. The same goes for my friends, when they all watched something I didn't I'd feel left out of their conversations about it. So I tried to develop an interest if I could so that I could have something to say (even if it was about how stupid I thought it was). I don't think it is immature to not want to be an outcast even among your own friends. Taking an interest in your friends' interest doesn't mean you aren't making up your own mind.