Brain scans link myelin with intelligence

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by francois, Oct 10, 2010.

1. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/22333/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

The bolded part is pretty interesting, I think. So the strength and speed of connections have an important relationship to IQ.

The oligodendrocyte, which is a type of glial cell, is what wraps the myelin around the axon in the CNS. Although Einstein's brain was of normal size, it's been suggested that he had a higher than average proportion of glial cells to nerve cells. Perhaps these extra glial cells were oligodendrocytes and helped keep his axons well myelinated.

This is an interesting way to think about intelligence. There are many different IQ correlates, but one of them always struck me as peculiar--reaction speed. People with higher IQs have higher reaction speed, from say, visual impetus, to physical reaction. Perhaps this is why. Faster interneural speeds cause faster reaction times as well as quicker thinking/higher intelligence.

Of course, intelligence is a global process--something that arises out of cooperation of large portions of the brain. Perhaps the relationship of IQ and quality of myelination isn't caused so much by the speed of the enabled transmissions, but the reliability. When an axon is poorly myelinated, the electrical message is more like a wave; when the axon is well myelinated, the message is more like a saltation--it's more like a digital message, which is less susceptible to attenuation and noise.

Think about when you watch a football game when it's snowing. It looks like a blizzard, but really, it only looks that way because of the zoom of the camera. It's only dusting, but you really are looking at a lot of snow by virtue of the fact that you're viewing the field from a long distance.

The brain is a big network of connections, so a little attenuation there, and a little noise there, makes a big difference as messages travel, because you're going a long distance. Therefore, the better insulated the channels are, the better the overall communication of the network.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Yeah, poor sheathing = attenuated signal = lower functional cognition.

8. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Adults who have MS progressively lose myelination in their brains yet they do not lose intelligence.

9. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

That's kind of confusing to me. Cognitive functions like memory and reasoning can decline, but intelligence stays same? Another thing confusing is that she mentions general intelligence explicitly--but that's something that IQ tests specifically try to hone in on--and IQ is something that is known to become lower over time with MS. Makes sense, what can you really achieve without memory?

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

You don't (presumably) lose stored info, but you can't transmit into motor function and the use or recall of that information. Functional intelligence declines.

11. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Halt. Do either of you actually have any firsthand experience with patients with MS? I have cared for many. Their intelligence is unchanged. If you didn't know about their illness, you would not be able to distinguish MS patients from non MS patients through intelligence or even memory. You would only notice the difference in motor function.

According to my medical PDA that I use in the hospital, perceptual deficits may occur but they result from lesions on the optic nerve and represent the same demyelinating neuropathy that affects all parts of the body. Mentally, only their attention span is shortened and they may be depressed.

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

As the OP says, it's a factor. I'm not referring specifically to MS patients, myself, but to general cognition; this neuropathy might occur in any neurological disorder. Francois mentions that elements of cognition may be affected.

13. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Anything is remotely possible geoff, but any intellectual deficit that occurs is insignificant enough that you wouldn't perceive it from communicating with MS patients.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Possibly not, but I'm not discussing that group specifically.

15. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

That's odd because I tested as gifted, but I have the crappiest reaction time. ?

I could be just one outlier, though.

Or it could be those tests mean absolutely jack shit. I certainly don't feel that I'm exceptionally smart.

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Correlation between reaction time and "functional intelligence" is less than unity.

17. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/pdf/ps/reaction_time.pdf

This is a study that finds a relationship between IQ and reaction speed. The correlations were .49 and .31 with choice and simple reaction time, respectively. That's definitely significant. They find that both are related to longevity: those with higher IQs live longer. But reaction speed was an even better predictor of longevity than IQ.

There were several hypothese, but the one that the author seemed to prefer is that IQ is a reflection of "suboptimal integrity of one's physiology." That would make sense to some extent, since it's known that IQ also relates with body symmetry, which is an indicator of the stability of one's development. He suggests this because it doesn't matter when the IQ test is administered--whether it's when the person is a child or in late age--it's a valuable predictor.

On the other hand, it could represent--and this is just my own musing--the body using whatever genetic variation it had to focus on making the brain strong, and causing the person to live a longer time, rather than say develop early and have many babies. Both are viable strategies. I think it's called r/K selection theory.

18. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Has that study and its results been reproduced anywhere?

19. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

That is another weird one.

I have asymmetrical cheekbones, more strength in my left side, and I have one eye that looks kinda Asian.

And I'm supposedly gifted.

20. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

It's not so strange. Scientists likely have a different way of measuring symmetry than simple eye shot. And of course, if you truly are a mutant (jk), then that's just one person and can't speak for much in general trends.

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Oh I know, but any way you measure symmetry...I am asymmetric. So I'll guess that as you said, I'm simply not a member of the general trend.

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I thought they lost myelination in their motor neurons and other axons that are vulnerable to a haywire immune system?

The internal neurons of the brain are not vulnerable to that kind of immune system dysfunction.

23. WillNever Valued Senior Member

That isn't correct ice. Sensory neurons are affected as well. That is why a lot of MS patients have numbness, tingling, parathesia. Cranial nerve II (the optic nerve) is purely sensory, and that is also affected.

Here's an excerpt from my medical PDA:

"MS is a chronic, progressive degenerative disease that affects the myelin sheath of the white matter of the brain and spinal cord. Each year 25,000 people are newly diagnosed with MS. The disease affects quality rather than duration of life. In MS, nerve impulses are conducted between the brain and spinal cord along neurons protected by the myelin sheath, which is a highly conductive fatty material. When plaques form on the myelin sheath, causing inflammation and eventual demyelination, nerve transmission becomes erratic. Areas commonly involved are the optic nerves, cerebrum, and cervical spinal cord."

MS seems to affect pathways from the brain to the spinal cord or along the cranial nerves mainly, according to the above. To what degree the internal structure of the brain is affected seems elusive, but according to what francois has shown us, their learning appears to be affected in a minute way. However, I think that is probably due to the higher rates of depression that often accompanies MS patients (depression is correlated with decreased mental functioning). If you ever met MS patients, their minds appear entirely unaffected.