Bust That Thunder

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tiassa, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

No, no, this really isn't a joke ... unfortunately.

• What do you get when you cross Ray Parker Jr. with AC/DC?​

You know how every once in a while you come across a headline, and know it's a bad idea to click it, but you do anyway?

Yeah.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

Um. Weird.

~String

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Somewhere in the world, Angus Young just woke in a cold sweat.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

BWAAA HA HA HA HAAAAA !!!!

Hillarious.

The YouTube page that thing is on is like a portal into the Twilight Zone.

So did Bruce Dickinson...
    :bugeye:

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Truly scary

Although it never produced a real band, I once lived in a house that had a band room in the basement. On one of the walls was posted several pages from, I think, Mojo magazine; it documented various chord progressions that were common to all sorts of pop songs, connecting Burt Bacharach to the Red Hot Chili Peppers to Blur, for instance. These mashups only reinforce the limitations of the pop art.

Still, though, it's an impressive diversity. I might criticize rap for its easy subversion by trends; others might complain that every damn blues song is the same. But the rock and roll era is no different.

I remember one night, sitting in a now-defunct club in Seattle, waiting for a friend's band to hit the stage. I had abandoned the setup because one of the techs had plugged something in wrongly, resulting in a supersonic pop that left my ears ringing, and one of the musicians in a rage because it wasn't even sound check time and he already had a dead spot in his auditory range. So we retreated to the bar and drank away our scowling fury. I remember the look on his face, though, when some Destiny's Child song—I couldn't tell you which—hit a chord. We knew our hearing wasn't completely fucked because the girls hit a chord that was famously Wilson—e.g., the Beach Boys. It was clear as day. We just shook our heads, grinned at the fact that we could still hear, and kept drinking. It hadn't occurred to me just how close to Motown the Beach Boys—and, by extension, the Four Freshmen or Jan and Dean—actually were. It took a trio of post-Motown R&B pop sirens to teach me the lesson. I still can't stand listening to Destiny's Child, but I thank them for making the point.

Nonetheless, the Iron Monkees mashup is just downright scary.