Ignorance, apathy, and incompetence

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Kernl Sandrs, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Kernl Sandrs Registered Senior Member

It's been a while since I've visited here. Been busy with work and school, BUT I HAVE RETURNED. I seek answers. Hopefully some of you can enlighten me.

I was talking (arguing) with someone about how she misused your and you're, and she completely overreacted, and responded in an extremely hostile manner. And not just her, her friend, and the mom of the guy who's status we were commenting on. She, for her age, was extremely immature, but I won't go into that. Anyway, they were so angry and hostile. I guess for being told they were wrong. People don't like that, do they? Hurts their wittle feewings. But yeah, they all jumped on me for pointing it out. Sure I could have not said anything, but they could have also taken five minutes out of their very busy lives to learn how to use them properly, and people like me (competent people in comparison) wouldn't have a reason to correct them. I told her that. She said she knew the difference, and I said "well if you do, then why didn't you use it the right way?"

I really don't understand this generation and their ignorance. Apathy. incompetence. you know. I really do hate being 18, because people will, instinctively, class me as being part of this stupid generation, and stereotype me accordingly. I hate associating, mingling, or even being in proximity to large groups of stupid people. It really bothers me.

Could someone please explain to me why this generation acts the way they do? They're absolutely rude (for lack of better word) to just about everyone around them who they don't know. They have this strong desire not to learn anything, all they want to do is text their friends. text text text. That's the big fad. That's also why I don't have texting. I don't want to get sucked into it.

Why do they not care? I need someone to break it down for me, because there's a big chunk of the puzzle I'm not seeing.

...and to think I want to be a history teacher...This country better be in slightly better shape than it is now, or I might kill myself.*

*not a joke.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

That's "whose status we were commenting on"

I dunno. Kids these days.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kernl Sandrs Registered Senior Member

Gah. Sorry about that. I got caught up with all that other bullshit. Didn't notice. >.<

(That is more or less an appropriate response to being grammatically corrected, not calling them a "dickwad", telling them "lmao this aint english class") :grumble:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neverfly Banned Banned

It's a matter of perception.

Imagine growing up 200 years ago... How irrational and ignorant would people have seemed then?

I had the same complaint when I was 18. So did my dad.

The truth is: You are always going to be surrounded by idiots. Learn tolerance now, while you're still young.

Before you turn into a grumpy pessimistic old fart like me.

ETA: If you want to get technical, I've found about four more grammatical errors in the OP

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And you can probably peruse my posts for a while and find some doozies, too.

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I'll join in with Neverfly since I also qualify as a grumpy older guy (I'm 67). And even though I've really mellowed in many ways (like choosing my battles carefully and not taking *anything* personal that people say), I still have an avarice toward ignorance.

Bearing in mind that ignorance simply means "not knowing something" and in no way implies stupidity or lack of intelligence.

My biggest pet peeve, grammatically speaking, is that I'm convinced that less than 10% of people know if they are coming or going. I'm talking about the usage of the words "bring" and "take." In fact, it appears that not only do people not know the difference between the words (a sense of location and direction of movement), that the word "take" is rapidly becoming extinct.

I see and hear the word "bring" misused practically daily and everywhere. For just one small example: Two of my younger grandchildren like to watch the show Dora the Explorer. For the most part the show is pretty good and rather educational. But in one episode, Dora and Boots are returning a book to the library and Dora says (repeatedly!) "We are bringing the book back to the library" as they travel along. And the same thing happens in other episodes as well.

It really, really bugs me.

9. Neverfly Banned Banned

Sheez, man. I'm 32...

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Then just wait another 35 years - and see just HOW grumpy you can become by then!!

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Given this -
    then I'd suggest regarding

that you go to a good library, preferrably a university library, and get some up-to-date reading on "education for peace" or "peace education".
    There are several stages / streams of this debate, from the cheesy "Why can't we all be just nice to eachother?" to some, IMO, more doable approaches.

Really. The library is one of your best friends. Take responsibility for your knowledge and your attitudes and take your information from peer-reviewed sources, the process of reading and studying which should also help you in many practical ways.

12. M00se1989 Banned Banned

not many people want others to tell them what they themselves said. Words mean different things to each person. It is important to pay attention to what they are saying as the faster you pick up on their "game" you open the door for a witty joke(=

Either both participants end up laughing or an akward silence ensues. But still if you make fun of their words the right way you can both laugh all day:m: LOL

13. RobV Registered Member

First off, don't kill yourself. Humans aren't worth it.
    Next I'm 20. And I can agree that our generation is pretty ignorant.
    But I do not let this get to me. They are not me. They are not you.
    I guess it's easier since I don't use social networking websites and I don't even think about anyone in this world that isn't dear to me.
    I love it.
    You might try it sometime

14. kurros Registered Senior Member

It really isn't just your generation. It may appear that way because the subset of the human race you interact with the most is almost certainly biased strongly towards your age group, but the older you get the more the age-spread of that group will increase and you will find that most people still seem just as ignorant. Learning things is hard work, and having good breadth of knowledge is even harder, and most people aren't going to put in the effort, especially if their upbringing hasn't been such that they are used to thinking about things in a broader context. It is very hard not to just live and think in ones own little world.

15. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Remember "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." ?
    Among a nation of people who can't communicate accurately, you have an advantage. Maybe... It depends on what happens next, and how exceptional you turn out to be.

I think the main reason young people (for me, that means, to about 45) have poor grammar and spelling skills is that they simply were not taught in school, and have very few good examples in the world around them. (For heaven's sake, news broadcasters, who are trained in public speaking, don't know the difference between "he and I" and "him and me" - so they just don't ever use the objective form.)
    Part or most of the reason young people don't care is that they are not interested in communicating with anyone outside their tribe - which has its own dialect. I think many of them are rejecting, and losing touch with, the 'adult' world ... and who can blame them?

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Most people don't like that but there's a way to be more positive in the way you handle yourself in trying to show someone that they have made a mistake. Instead of trying to critical of them try being more helpful by saying things in a more respectful and uplifting way. Let's say, for example, I was making a comment about the earth and said it was flat now you could jump on that and tell me I was wrong but I'd just disagree and off we would go into arguing about nothing important. But if you were to have told me that many people feel the same way as I do and have that opinion about the earth, that would already show that you understand that there's a way to respect me and my views even if, to you , they are wrong. Then by also stating that there are others that think the earth is round or egg shaped because it is their opinion based on evidence they have found during their lives, that would open a door to dialog that isn't an argument but a way to show me where I can learn something new about something I thought was correct.