Intelligence Gene?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by %BlueSoulRobot%, Aug 26, 2002.

1. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Having read Orson Scott Card's book Shadow of the Hegemon a loong while ago, I came across an interesting idea.

In the book, Card describes a reversal in DNA structure which, in its original state, would stop a human's growth at a certain age. But, as a result of genetic experimentation, a boy (Bean) has had that gene changed, so that instead of stopping to grow, he continues growing until his heart gives out from exhaustion. Yet, he retains the ability of a child's brain to make new neurons rapidly, therefore becoming a "super-genius".

I was curious to know if this is based on some true fact, or whether it's purely fiction, and if this is possible in real life.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

- %Blue%

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Popcorn8636 Registered Senior Member

Possibly, but it would take a REAL miracle.There isn't really an intelligence gene as far as I know, however, if the genetic code of a human is faulted or different from others the brain may continue to produce neurons at a rapid rate.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

PNAS

upcoming issue of PNAS has article on a gene that could be responsible for human intelligence. go to <http://www.pnas.org/papbyrecent.shtml > to find
    Inactivation of CMP-N-acetylneuraminic acid hydroxylase occurred prior to brain expansion during human evolution

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

I believe there are numerous intelligence genes. Not just one. Intelligence definitely requires more than one allel because there are different types of intelligence.

8. Popcorn8636 Registered Senior Member

Maybee there is an intelligence gene, maybe there isn't. Maybe we should just sit here for another year waiting for those scientists to finish the human genome project.

9. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I could do a very cheesy joke involving Levi's and Calculus here

10. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the site, paulsamuel, even though my mum told me never to trust a man with 2 first names.

lol

Popcorn8386

Ooo! Tell the joke, Thor!