heat and california

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by sifreak21, Oct 2, 2010.

1. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

all over the news are these idiot kids that were overcome by heatstroke.. there trying to blame the schools for even putting on the meet.. iv been in track football and ever sport in 110deg heat and 100% humidity.

why are people blaming the school? its not hard IF YOU ARE SWEATING AND VERY HOT TAKE MORE WATER BREAKS i just dont understand

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Um...OK.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

I actually moved to the Mojave a year ago, and god, I'm hating the heat. This is, however, entirely on me, since I grew up in a cold environment and like to go skiing in a t-shirt while everyone else is in jackets. To me, Californians seem like cold-blooded critters, if it's below 80, they start throwing on long pants and sleeves.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Aside from that, people just like blaming the schools for whatever the hell goes wrong. This is true in I believe any developed nation I've set foot in!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Another problem that is overlooked most of the time is that polluted air we breathe is also affecting the way our bodies react to any heavy physical activity in a area that has allot of pollutants in its air. Perhaps the pollutants are causing more severe adverse affects when they are polluting the air with toxic chemicals that we must breathe in oder to survive. Just a thought.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I haven't seen the report the OP is commenting on so I don't know what part of California is the subject. If it really was somewhere in the Mojave Desert like Lancaster, the air there is not heavily polluted, compared to the cities. Even the L.A. air is far cleaner than it was when I first moved there in 1960. On many days back then you couldn't see the top of a skyscraper; now you can see all the way to the mountains almost every day.

Considering that nearby Los Angeles had an all-time record high temperature of 113 (45 Celsius), I'm sure it was a few degrees hotter in the desert. That stretches the heat tolerance of most human beings. Only people who have lived there for a few generations have adapted to be truly at ease in that weather. Even they would avoid strenuous outdoor exercise in the bright sun. If you notice, the Bedouins wear loose, white lightweight clothing that completely covers their body, providing shielding, reflectivity and ventilation.

I was born in Chicago, where it seldom exceeds 95 (35C) in the summer and the record high is 105 (41C), but routinely drops below -15 (-26C) in the winter and the record low is -26 (-33C). When I was 8 my parents moved us to Arizona. (Damn them to hell for eternity for that.) The highs in the summer are typically 105 (41C) and it's 90 (33C) in frelling April! I managed to adapt to the point where I could walk to school without fainting from the heat, and I could run around for about 15 minutes without succumbing to dehydration. But I never found it comfortable. I managed to escape to go to college, and never went back.

I find the old saw, "But it's a dry heat," to be a fable invented by desert dwellers. For me, exercising in a hot place with low humidity is torture; it just sucks the moisture right out of my body and I can't drink enough to replenish it. My air passages, my eyes, every part of my body feels like sandpaper. On the rare days when it's 90 (32C) here in Washington, which has reasonable humidity, I am much more comfortable than I was on a 90-degree day in Los Angeles. And I was more comfortable there than on a 90-degree day in the godawful Arizona desert!