Forgiveness

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by zfalll, Sep 28, 2010.

1. zfalll Registered Senior Member

Forgiveness makes you happier, makes the world brighter. It brings smile on others faces, it brings love to the field we land. It is a symbol of kindness, a symbol of care, and it gives us a better tomorrow.

by zfalll.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Lol I'm not very good at forgiveness.

Seems to be forgiveness = lying down, eating shit and not standing up for yourself.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Link please.
    Who did the studies?

And I think you'll find that it's sunlight (or, at a push, electric lighting) that makes the world brighter, not forgiveness.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

links? studies? haha, you crack me up dy.

this is something that you have an easy opportunity to conduct your own study of every single day.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But getting even is so much better!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i know it seems that way, but it's actually quite the opposite. it takes a lot more strength to forgive someone than not, and it actually keeps you from becoming a victim.

forgiving someone doesn't mean that what they did wasn't wrong. and it doesn't mean you have to allow yourself to be continually victimized by someone. you can forgive someone without inviting them to do it to you again. for example, i forgave my ex-husband, but i sure as hell wouldn't marry him again, or even share my life with him.

and when you realize what it does to you, to carry around the hurt, and the anger and resentment from being hurt, you realize that it's those feelings that victimize you more than anything.

10. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

that's very "nice" but, it's actually the correct and intelligent thing to do, objectively.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I forgive everyone for everything, after my vengence...

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Fail.
    1) Are you suggesting that I have the opportunity (or need) to forgive someone every day? :shrug:
    2) Any study done would have show conclusively that those occasions where I did forgive (or not forgive) somehow were provably better (or worse) than they would have been had I not forgiven (or not withheld my forgiveness).
    Too many variables...

I repeat: a claim has been made and no evidence provided.
    Are we supposed to just take this guy's unsupported word?

Hardly.
    (And, BTW, I'm not gonna forgive him for the nonsensical claim either).

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

yes.

no. not everything is rocket science you know? you're copping out.

forgiving someone affects you. and consequently, affects others around you. try it, experience it, and then you'll see.

instead of demanding that someone throw a bunch of data at you that you can't relate to. :bugeye:

14. zfalll Registered Senior Member

I know is not easy for everyone to forgive someone or something, but why don't we try to let go our temper and tell ourselves, "I have made a right decision"?

I do, and the "world" here doesn't mean the earth or a place, but the network among us, the human being.

I'll forgive anyone if he or she or they apologize to me and promise not to do it again. If not, I will also not going to get revenge on them cause I believe that they will have to pay for what they have did.

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

You actually did a study?
    Collected the data, set up the conditions &c &c?
    Or you just took a wild-ass guess?

See my previous post.

Of course, if you have hard data I'd appreciate you posting it here.

16. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I except apologies/dont tend to hold grudges an can be frindly wit people whos behavior dont offend me anymor.!!!

I may "toy" wit such people for fun an in order to teech 'em the err of ther ways... but in what way do you beleive they will "have to pay for what they did".???

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Fail again. A specific claim was made.

Oh dear, you assume I haven't done it...
    Yes, forgiving someone affects you.
    Can it be shown that that forgiveness is, in the long run, more beneficial than not forgiving? How?

You're assuming again.
    What data is there that I can't relate to? So far there's no data forthcoming, just claims...

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

because the average person doesn't need some formal study conducted to tell them whether or not scratching their own butt feels good. it's silly.

19. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

first read this as if you were talking about yourself dyw.
    rhetorical.
    irrelevant cause of this:
    why would you even want to argue about it?

i am very forgiving,i tend to let god handle my revenge..IOW if a person has a habit of screwing ppl..someday someone else is gonna screw him back..im good with that..

now as far as the ppl who consistently offend (you know who you are.) i try to explain why/how they are offending, if they keep it up i try to ignore them..some ppl do not care how offensive they are, they think it makes them smarter/better..

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ah, so somehow you think that it's possible to conflate a specific, individual, action and reaction with a general claim about how one's personal take on life affects everyone else?
    Explain to me how that works.

I see. So now we've gone from unjustifiable claims to rhetorical answers as support?

For the same reason I argue about all generalised unsupported claims of course.

Surely forgiveness precludes the need or desire for revenge?
    If you simply leave revenge to someone else (and expect revenge to occur) then in my book that's not even close to forgiveness.

21. Neverfly Banned Banned

Not really...

A lot of simple and accepted thoughts about life actually have little support.

We refer to many as "Old wives tails" or superstitions...
    Well, this includes pop psycho-babble and common sayings as well.

There's nothing wrong with checking things out.

There are many ways of coping with anger, stress and troubles. Forgiveness is a big part of it, but not the necessary or only one.

22. zfalll Registered Senior Member

I did the studies of course, see the author's signature?:thankyou:

research involving people from different countries, community groups and family background.

in the way of faith, I do believe in God and Chaos theory.

This point is explainable. For different countries, forgiveness is very important as wars can be prevented, economics can be enhanced, and earth will be a peaceful place for living; as for communities, forgiveness is important to avoid fighting and misunderstading; as for families, forgiveness is important to stabilize the connection between every family members. Forgiveness generates understanding and love is for sure.

completely agree!

23. zfalll Registered Senior Member

I had a discussion with my friends yesterday, and we had come to an agreement that "online", "facebook", and " blogging" are the effective ways!