need motor vehicle department expert..

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by NMSquirrel, Sep 17, 2010.

1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

we just bought a $200 car and took a month to get the original owner to sign a bill of sale,we have found out that the title is in her name, she had told us that she filed for a lost title but never received it.
    we took the bill of sale to the MVD and they told us that the original owner has to get us the title..the original owner is not very cooperative and its been a pain in the butt getting anything from her.

how can we get this worked out..

please i would appreciate expert advice and not just an opinion..

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Sucks to be you-

The price of buying a $200 car....

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

not helpful..
    wonder if i can sue the original owner.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

No you can't sue the original owner for they did not release the title to anyone therefore it is still their car and you will have to either pay them what they want or get your money back from who you bought it from, good luck with that. You will have to take them to court if they won't give you the money back and you will get it back because they committed a fraud when they sold you a car without a legal title to it.

8. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

i do have a bill of sale from them..the title is in their name.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Then take her to court, I thought the original owner was another person sorry.

10. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

How do you know the car title is in her name if she has "lost it"?
    Is she selling you something without being able to prove it is hers in the first place?

If you are happy it is hers and it really is just a case of her not being able to find her title document then from what I understand, she will need to get a new title document sent to her (not too onerous although might require a driving licence etc) and then sign it over to you. The actual process/requirements may differ by State, though.

If she can't do that, or won't, then she has not technically sold you anything as the title will still be in her name, so you should get your money back from her... or take her to court for fraud (taking your money under pretence of a sale).

11. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

Wow, only $200. I just experienced the same Lesson in Life for $300, and I never got to drive the car (I bought a car during the months that the owner dragged his heels and lied about it, and then I quickly unloaded the car after I finally got the title). And my owner moved 1,500 miles away.

The original owner must get a replacement title from the registry and then sign it over to you. As far as I know, you technically don't own the car yet (so chain it to a tree etc). Double-check with the MVD about ownership status.

Moral: Never buy a motor vehicle without having the title in hand.