Processing dreams that occur just before you wake up

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Maxi, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Maxi Registered Senior Member

Hey everyone,

where to begin. Well I just woke up now (8am) after a mere but somehow fulfilling 4 hour sleep.

Just before waking up I can fairly vividly recall a "scene" from my dreamstate. In this "scene" it seemed as if I was both in the audience but also played the part of what seemed to be some 18th century comedian. Not the refined type like Molière but something rather vulgar but not 21th century vulgar. I tried hard but I can't remember the lyrics only that I managed to put 3 verses together that seemed to be in the form of a short snappy limerick (at least the rhyme scheme). The only content I can vaguely remember was from the middle one that was something like "what's that odeur? oh it's you sir you smell". Might not be overly funny to you but this is translated from French and it rhymed well with the other verses (only managed to get 3 total before someone in the audience yelled out that "I" was vulgar "grossier" if you speak French".

I you might wonder why I'm so puzzled by all this and I'm getting to it. First of all I'm Swedish but I've had 2 years of junior-high education in France but on the later stage international education all in English; so for the most part I think in English. I'm therefore quite surprised it was in French (also considering the only previous segment of my dream was in Swedish). Why would it be in French? or was that just random?

The thing that caught my attention the most and this is actually why I came online here to write about it is the "creative" aspect of it all. It isn't the first time I've woken up just after some creative outplay in a dream. Wouldn't say it's common but not an extreme rarity for me. Previously without going too much into detail it's been: music, fashion, invention of what I can remember. I know some of you might think it's the whole déjà-vu thing and maybe so my subconscience is acting on it but it's for certain not so for the major part because the music song whatever i woke up with some lyrics still stuck in my head and I googled it and nothing came up and it was an entire line. The fashion part was something i've never seen ever before it was a dress fashioned out of airline bag tags with different destinations on them as to represent a modern multicultural society, the invention was some excersising machine.

Although all this might not seem as a masterpieces or whatever by you it impressed me how creative my mind could be while dreaming but I also liked it (not surpising as my own subconscience created them). And the comedy sequence really made people in the audience laugh including myself, and my girlfriend who was sitting next to me (I know this might be confusing but to clarify I was in the audience and "controlling" the comedian). I also woke up with a high pulse. I think it might have been from the laughter because it was quite intense.

So how come I'm having these dreams that are fairly elaborate despite my depiction? Not to sound cliché but is my subconscience trying to tell me something, or is it just random? I need to stress the fact that what I "produced" during dreamstate, I have never seen before.Everytime I woke up after I would think if there was some sort of connection and I couldn't find one. That's not to say that it didn't have a connection with me at the time (the dress was while i was working at the airport but that's the only one i know for sure has a real connection).

I'm sorry for a rather confusing plot but in short maybe I can sum it up to this if it seems similar: what causes us to wake up like this and just vaguely remember a short sequence of a dream? Only other thing I can remember was that my brother missed his train for Stockholm (which he didn't) and that he bought hideous shoes (shoes which he's looking to get new ones).

Is it something in the content of it all that triggers the brain to wake us up? Because I clearly wasn't meant to have so little sleep especially since lately I sleep many hours and just dandy I might add.

Sorry if this subject has come up before and sorry for the wall of text and gibberish. I thought I'd put it up while still fresh.

I would love it if someone has any input on this as I'm quite fascinated by psychology and stuff and it would put and end to my previous questions about this.

Thanks a lot for reading at least,

Maxi

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kurros Registered Senior Member

I don't think there is anything terribly unusual here. I am no psychologist but I have read that the parts of the brain associated with creativity are particularly active during dreams. I also have had dreams where I have written music or things like that and have felt like they were really some of the best stuff I have come up with, but I've never been able to write them down fast enough after waking to take advantage of it. Things like this have been partially responsible for my recent attempts to learn to have lucid dreams, since I have heard that many people use them to try and better harness their dream creativity. I've only had 3 lucid dreams so far and each one has just been a struggle to not wake up and has only lasted a few minutes, maybe 10 at most, but at least I know what I am trying to do now. Maybe something like that would help you too.

Oh, as for the shortness of the sleep, during the night we undergo several sleep cycles, and when I get it into my head to seriously try and remember my dreams I wake up at least once during the night, sometimes twice, and I have even had very vivid dreams in the morning after only sleeping for maybe 90 minutes to 2 hours. I think it is true that we enter much lighter stages of sleep after each dream cycle and you can easily wake up at this time. Going back to sleep isn't usually a problem though and often you'll wake up and go back to sleep without really noticing.

Don't know if any of that was helpful but there you go.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. 222430 Registered Member

I had a dream last night that was weird, i was with my friends and we were at some sort of a drive-in and we wouldn't leave so the police came and started arresting my friends and i started running away, then obviously a cop caught me (i can never run in dreams) and put my hands behind my back i thought "i dont like this" and i woke up, it felt like i woke up on command though.
    i remember it perfectly too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Your not the only one to have "international" dreams, I'm pretty sure I've seen a few Russian (or Eastern European) movies play out while sleeping... how do I know this?, well the Cyrillic credits at the end pretty much gave it away. especially odd since I don't speak a word of Russian and wouldn't be able to spell someones name.

To be honest it was one of the main dreams that I had that identified to me that all those stories about Psychotropics and mind control are actually based upon fact.

There are many different groups and countries that would mess with peoples minds.

Countries might do it for apart of an aggressive foreign policy, manipulate your "enemies" to be apathetic or self destructive. Various clandestine groups and organisations might have more elitist reasons, for instance attempting to make someone speak a totally new language through merging mnemonics or utilising other peoples capacity to translate, perhaps controlling a world leader to get them to do what you want them to do (Generates a whole new meaning to "Puppet Dictator" and makes you wonder if politicians like Bush who were notorious for having long pauses, was in fact waiting for his teleprompter to catch up.)

Some elitists might want to aid technological advancement throughout our societies while others further still would rather have all the technology to themselves so they can be greedy and monopolise.

Obviously to most people though, this will all sound like Paranoid conspiracy, until they are of course at least subjected to a dream that "Just can't be theirs".

(Incidentally MAXI, You might be best looking at École [Obviously truncated but mean the University] and one of their Fraternities since they have been known to have elitists that can even be called "Cultists". Occasionally the Bismarck Institute was also pinned.)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I had a bizarre dream last night. I dreamt that Obama showed up at my office, gave away half of my equipment, and drove away most of my patients. I woke up in a panic and all pissed off, and then realized it was just a dream.

I'm not kidding, by the way. This was the actual dream I had this morning just before waking up. Perhaps it was a manifestation of my fear of Obamacare?

9. Neverfly Banned Banned

Or was it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. keith1 Guest

Perhaps you need to leave your business life at the office, and spend more time on your love life at home, where you might hold subconscious thoughts of impotency, or an implied loss of authority with your spouse/sig. other?

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a site for therapy or meant as a replacement of professional council. The statements above are for entertainment purposes only.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2010
  11. Reanimation Registered Member

When my dreams are vivid sometimes I get really into it. I seem to always wake up before I can interact too much. I think sometimes when dreaming we get to a point where we start to realize it may be a dream. For example, when my dreams become so real I start to actually have what I think are more conscious thoughts while I’m dreaming. I’ll interact more as if it were real life. For some reason my brain does not like this and I will wake up before I get too involved. Perhaps while you were dreaming you started to get more involved in it. Maybe you started to step too far out of your subconscious? I’m no psychologist but that would be my idea as to why you woke up. Dreams are mysterious, even the experts cannot fully explain them.

12. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Maybe death is the same, just before we die (wake up) we begin to realise this life was just a dream or illusion.
    Just a thought.

jan.

13. kurros Registered Senior Member

I believe there are a number of eastern philosophies with thinking along these lines. Buddhists refer to enlightenment as a kind of awakening, for example. I wouldn't mind learning more about such things actually.

14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Hi Maxi,
    I just got here, but i found this an interesting question.
    One part is easy: It's probably not the content of the dream that woke you, but something else. It's because you woke suddenly that you were able to recall the dream. The dreams closest to waking are the only ones we do remember - though other, forgotten dreams may also affect our thoughts, and especially our creative ideas.

The language part is not unusual. I speak hardly any French in waking life, and read it only a little better, but i did study it in school, and a lot more comes back in my sleep. As with other memories: we have easier access when not distracted, and not trying. What triggers a sequence in a language we don't use often is probably a symbol within the dream itself: an association on which the unconscious takes off. Or maybe even a sound in the real world that's similar to a word in that language.

Being able to use the dream material is what interests me most. When i did sculpture, i dreamed several pieces that i was later able produce. The rest of the story or scene surrounding an object was fairly vivid at the time of waking, but the object itself was what i most wanted to hold onto, when fully awake. Oddly, in my dreams, i didn't make those things: i saw them as part of a situation i walked into; things belonging to an exhibit, or sold at a craft fair; things external to me, that i coveted or actually acquired - in one case, even went back the next night to get a little mobile, because i couldn't quite see how it worked. (I didn't make that one: haven't found all the components, but i keep looking.)
    For me, those things were intriguing enough to make - though difficult, requiring several attempts, and the end result not always satisfactory.
    So, i'm guessing your subconscious wants you to make something of that song. Keep tinkering; go back on the stage if necessary - if it matters, it will become clear.