New pet

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well, my son is in the process of getting a permit to get a fennec fox. Anyone here have any experience with them?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sounds like a terrible idea when there are perfectly good dogs and cats in shelters waiting to die. Is it a status symbol? How old is your son?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

He doesn't want a dog or cat. We have already rescued 4. Its no more a status symbol than a pet ferret or hedgehog. He's 19

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's a wild animal. Just get a chihuahua, there are thousands in California shelters now due to a recent trend that apparently died out.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

all animals were once wild animals. These aren't taken from the wild, but raised and sold as dogs and cats are. If I get a feral cat as a kitten and raise it is that wrong?

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They aren't domesticated animals, cats are, even feral ones. I read they they escape easily. It could become an invasive species, they aren't native to your area, I'm sure.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

where did you read that they escape easily? Are you saying they get out as easily as a person's cat or dog? Did chinchillas become an invasive species? Hedgehogs? Ferrets? No, I think cats did though

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

This is the first time I even heard of a fennec fox. Where would you get one? Are you allowed to keep it as a pet? What do they eat?

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

don't watch many nature shows.
    breeder
    depends on your areas laws on exotic pets.
    in the wild or as a pet?

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

they are rather small and a burrowing species. you need to take precautions. I have read your always supposed to have them on a leash when out doors

14. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

House cats have been selectively bred by humans for thousands of years now (approximately 8,000 according to Wikipedia), and domestic dogs even longer than that. There is no real comparison between adopting a feral cat, and taming a wild animal. Non domesticated animals are always going to have an element of unpredictability that domesticated ones do not. Cats and dogs that suddenly went wild and attacked their owners (or worse yet, their children) were quickly selected out of the gene pool. Over the millennia, this has resulted in animals that are very compatible with humans (because we made them that way). No matter how tame something like this fox may seem, it simply cannot be trusted in the same way your average dog or cat can.

15. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Ferrets and hedgehogs are both illegal to own in California because of the fear that they might cause havoc should they escape and establish breeding populations.
    Edit: Fennec foxes are illegal to own here as well.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No I don't watch a lot of nature shows, I used to watch a lot of Animal Planet before but the new shows are not as engrossing. Why would anyone breed fennec foxes? Are they of any particular value? Is it considered an exotic pet? Where are they native to? What do they eat both in the wild [I assume smaller herbivores?] and when domesticated?

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I was going to ask about that..
    I guess that settles it.

18. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

their cute
    dunno
    yes
    north africa
    in the wild they eat mice, lizards and the like. in captivity they eat either a special small canid diet but most people who keep them as pets give them a mix of dog and cat food with some fruits and veggies.

19. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

and Florida is the perfect reason why.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So they are being bred because they are "cute"? I foresee a lot of abandoned fennec foxes in the near future.

21. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Foxes take a lot more care. It will want to be around your son 24/7. Very very attached, even more than dogs. I saw a video once on a fox owner.

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

You might want to think twice before getting one. Apparently they are connected to the drug violence in Mexico

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/a...esident.interview/#fbid=JFz5x_eN0cp&wom=false

23. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I think I like your fox better than the OPs fox.

I heard somewhere that foxes are infamous for peeing on everything, and they like to dig.