Trust

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by GeoffP, Sep 9, 2010.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

What the hell is trust, anyway?

Nothing can really be trusted. It has to be tested, again and again.

People can't be trusted. They'll let you down. Everyone has an agenda. Everyone.

Institutions. Religions.

Everything is a lie.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Disillusionment : where expectations meet reality?

However try not to go to either extreme. You cannot trust everyone all the time, but there is good and bad in everyone.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kat9Lives Registered Senior Member

not everyone has an agenda..and there's plenty of people that can be trusted...
    dont' give up on the whole race!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I do not trust anyone either! My ex wife, of 15 years, betrayed me and set me up big time just to get me away from her stealing everything I owned! She was very clever at the way she built up her trust with me then when the time was right my throat was slit. Nope, never trust anyone I realize today because they all only are looking out for themselves, not your well being.

8. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

cosmic, obviously I don't know the full details, but that's just terrible. It sucks that people take advantage of others' trust like that, especially when they're in a vulnerable situation (emotionally, etc).

My wife told me yesterday that some scumbag lured a 4-yr old into the men's bathroom at deseret industries (think salvation army type of place for mormons), entreating her that he had toys for her to play with. He ended up raping her, while the mom had the place on lockdown and everyone searching for the daughter. They found him & the kid (still alive, just destroyed I'm sure in every way).

I just, it boggles my mind that people willingly seek out ways to hurt people in the most deplorable ways possible.

Trust is very hard for me too. I have a little kid and there are 3 people on my short-list that I trust to watch over her (my wife & I being 2 of those 3). So hard not to be over-protective it seems sometimes.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

To trust someone means that you are familiar enough with that someone so that you can predict his or her behavior reasonably well in particular situations.
    It's supposed to be practical but, in truth, you can't really trust anyone

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  10. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

So the general message from the forums is "don't trust anyone".
    It's very true, trust me.

11. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Blake understood- humans are savage by nature. No matter how much you dress it up or disguise it. Blake saw this and chose to be a parody of it... a joke.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hey, misanthropes are trust wordy..

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i think we're doing well if we can even trust our own selves. and given that, you just gotta go with the flow. it's not good to be careless or reckless, but it's also not good to live your life in fear.

to be trustworthy yourself is really the very best you can do.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Trust and fear are two completly different things.

You can't trust people but you don't need to fear them as well. There's a certain amount of respect everyone is given to a point but then you need to draw a line where that point stops and people should be aware of it. Fearing others is not healthy but not trusting others is a very good thing, within reason.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I object. Fear can be very healthy. It's why we have the ability to fear, actually.

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

where we draw that line is relative to how much we fear victimization. now that fear can be very well-founded and legitimate, but it can also be quite irrational. when it becomes irrational, you can actually end up victimizing yourself. i've struggled with that in a particular area of my life. i've made some really bad decisions because of a fear of men in regards to sexual relationships. i, the resulting control freak, became the conductor of several terrible train wrecks.

while in recovery from what i had deemed to be my last train wreck, i realized in order to ensure it was the last one, i needed to take a good look in the mirror. to continue to end up in the same place, and blame another person for it, wasn't an option ever again. so one night, i had a nice long conversation with god about it.

in a nutshell, i asked him what was wrong with me, and he said, "you don't trust men". and i said, "well duh", and i gave him a list of all my legitimate reasons for not trusting men, and he confirmed that those were in fact legitimate reasons. so i wondered if that meant i had to be alone, without a husband, and he said, " do you think that there is no man in the world who is as trustworthy as you are?". if he had ended that question with the word "trustworthy" it would have been easier to answer, but since he added the phrase "as you are", i had to think about it for a minute. and it kind of hurt to say it, but my answer was, "i guess i don't", and he said, "don't you think that's kind of arrogant?", and i had to admit that it was.

i had to admit i was wrong!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  17. Emil Valued Senior Member

It would be interesting to define "trust".Idealistic people use "trust".
    The world does not work on "trust".The world runs on"Mutual benefit".
    The world is closer to the jungle than we (on SciForum) can imagine.

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

And sing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA2Qw3j2bxw

19. Gustav Banned Banned

a rational assessment of probabilities

20. Emil Valued Senior Member

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Confidence in the face of vulnerability

Trust is the awareness and acceptance that something can hurt you, coupled with some form of confidence that it won't.

"... if we never had secrets from our friends and loved ones, there would never be any need for them to trust us."

(Steven Brust)