BoobTube Influence

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by keith1, Aug 31, 2010.

?

What age did you begin T.V. watching?

1. It was my babysitter

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 6-10 years old

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. More than 10 years old

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No T.V./Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. keith1 Guest

Are you a T.V. zombie?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kernl Sandrs Registered Senior Member

Not only that, I'm also a computer addict.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. keith1 Guest

I'm surprised that either media has not devised a "companion program" that requires both. (Not to count the use of the computer during ball games).

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I'm actually more of a "TV Lich" or possibly a wraith ....I mean, yeah I'm still technically a member of the TV undead, but I'm much too intelligent and high-brow to be considered a zombie.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. keith1 Guest

Yeah you're right. I just threw that up there to satisfy the space. They ask for at least three characters. I should have posted "..." It would have sufficed.

9. Gustav Banned Banned

perhaps back in the day
    sci seems to demand so much more now

/sad

i mean...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

...for fuck sakes!

10. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I gave up on the TV when the Internet came out. Granted I do have DirecTV and hundreds of channels but I only watch TV 1-2 hours a day if that and it's usually cop shows like COPS.

11. keith1 Guest

What age did you start watching T.V.? The poll is anonymous. The idea is to get a distinction of majority.

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, there is an important factor, namely the answering person's age to consider the poll.

but anyhow, TV watching has evolved in the last 10 years. With laptops, I assume lots of people "watch" TV as a background noise, like I do, while surfing the net. It doesn't really mean I (can) pay attention in full, but I get a general idea of what's going on....

13. keith1 Guest

Yeah ditto. Same here. Quite entertaining and thought provoking method of "cramming relaxation".

14. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Blah, blah? But blah blah blah, blah, blah boogga buugtorha blah.

Blah: boogaboobago goody blah, blah blah.

Anyway...~on topic~:

Television would be fucking cool right about now, but I can't put it on because the father's got the insomnias.

But back in the good old Paxil popping, vodka numbing, Bad Girls Club watching days of my descent into the bowels of ennui that made me a prole I was addicted to it.

Girls Next Door, was the shit-- I still know Holly's nickname for Heff.
    Bad Girls Club-- Natalie's gigantic head looks like a foot.
    Top Chef-- ashamed to admit, but I still manage to watch this. Tiffany is going to totally win or one of you will be be impaled on a fork.

All the home improvement shows on HGTV-- Divine Design, Decorating Cents, Holmes on Homes.

I'm going to molest Michael Holmes....

Reality TV is living by proxy-- it attracts those seeking refuge from living.

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Generally, I agree.

I have spells of watching tv. But it is often shows about things that I myself would never actually do, such as apply for being a top model.
    What I like is the psychological and social drama that goes on, and along with it, I try to imagine what I would do in such situations (if someone called me such and such names, or lied to me, or rejected me, or had an angry fit etc.)
    In that sense, watching tv is a relatively safe place to reflect on my own reactions. This ability does come handy IRL.

For example, just yesterday at the library, I witnessed a girl of about 19 years old psychologically smothering what appeared to be her little sister of about 4. The older one appeared to have expected her to sit still and stare at the wall while she was doing something at the computer. Of course, small children resent to sit still.

"Do I need to take you to the hospital to prove to you that you are not being normal?!"
    "I am not your doormat."
    "Do you really need medications?"
    This were some of the older one's sentences.
    I could just feel the negativity in the air.

Even though I have read about such things, and witnessed them before, I think that were it not for watching reality shows and practicing along, I would be much more negatively affected by that woman.

16. keith1 Guest

But because ones brain does different things with the data than the next brain, or as necessarily intended by the production crew, or actor--answers to personal pressing issues, time needed to reflect, tired muscles needing a break, finding a moment of detachment and meditation...the TV does supply this.

Insomnia sometimes has simple cures, like no coffee or carb binges in the afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2010
  17. keith1 Guest

Some are able to "change the channel" faster, as they become adept at "scoping out interest" in seconds. Attention deficit it is not. More of "quality time sensitive". Reflex-to-Cognition skills.

The child could have had a little quality time with teen on the computer next to her--maybe a Sesame Street Website...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2010