STRESS and its effects on us

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by M00se1989, Aug 15, 2010.

1. M00se1989 Banned Banned

in this new world of fast paced online interaction, stress can be hard to deal with. But the acknowledgment of what stress impacts us on a daily basis can help us all to cope with stress. The best way to find out how much we actually have in common is by taking a survey and calculation the statistics of what makes us tick.

Stress Survey

Please answer the following questions and add any comments you like.

1. In your opinion, what are the three worst stressors that people face in their daily lives?

2. How do you handle your stress? Please be as specific as possible.

3. Did anyone ever teach you strategies for dealing with your stress? Why or why
    not do you think?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

In the USA (no ranking implied by order of presentation): Twice-daily traffic congestion; Unemployment or the fear of it; The world changing so fast that they can't keep up with it and therefore don't understand half of what's happening.
    Dogs, music, enjoying life now and not putting things off till the future when the whole world might be bankrupt.
    Not when I was young enough for it to have been useful in shaping my attitudes.
    It was the 1950s and 60s. Hardly anyone had ever heard the term "stress" used in this sense. Instead, we were taught to suppress our feelings.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

1. In your opinion, what are the three worst stressors that people face in their daily lives?

Jobs

Money

Economy

2. How do you handle your stress? Please be as specific as possible.

Medications

More medications

Can't get enough medications

3. Did anyone ever teach you strategies for dealing with your stress? Why or why not do you think?

I am Bi Polar and need meds to maintain my balance, without them I'd be dead.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

It is not a question that can be answered as not everyone will be affected by the same thing on a daily basis. For some people, the commute to work is the only time they can relax and be alone, while for others, it is an exercise in frustration.

I guess if we had to break it down, it would be money, children, work/employment.

I try not to think about it. Sometimes a nice long hot shower where the sound of the water beating on my skull, drowning out all other external noise helps and other times it does not. Sometimes just going for a drive alone helps, and other times it does not. Sometimes curling up with a good book helps, and other times it does not as real life intrudes upon those moments. For some people, alcohol helps and others it does not.

I guess for me it could be any of the above and sometimes none of that will work. In which case, I will break out the 6 hour long Pride and Prejudice movie and stop thinking..

I was taught to be honest about how I feel about things, as a way of lessening the stress levels. Asking for help when help is needed. Alternatively, finding your favourite drink and getting sloshed..

8. M00se1989 Banned Banned

I find simple and honest conversation over the internet is one of the best outlets for a summation of stress. I can log in and talk about anything that strikes my fancy. I may not always be right. then again why would I want to. Just words can always be skewed.

Suppressed feelings just lead to distress in the long run: all questions and no answers for your feelings. It works against our nature which is to find Empathy with the world around us. Empathy is not a single emotion but a summation of the rightly spoked language and physical signs of communication with another. It can be used in both good and bad ways. To hide something from someone comes from an instinct to lie and save ourselves. But for us to be lied to is a crime.

what interests you cosmic traveller?