Habitual liars

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Giambattista, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Meet Kari Ferrell: Criminally Hipster

Funny story. Don't know why I posted this, but anyway.

Anyone ever meet someone like this before? Someone who always has a story, dilemma, or needs money?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Oh yeah.
    I knew a guy who was constantly telling people his latest tricked-up car was the feature article in last months Hot Car magazine (or whatever it's called), yet always walked or scrounged a lift.
    I discovered (pure accident - my next girlfriend turned out to be his aunt!) that he was a known liar and he eventually ended up on the run for fraud and deception. At age 20.
    I bumped into him a year or so later, when he walked into the pub and started to spread the story that he was in the Royal Marines and due for deployment to Afghanistan the following week. Looking for a quick lay...
    It worked, until me, being nasty AND pedantic pointed out that:
    A) a Royal Marine wouldn't be allowed to wear an ear-ring
    B) a Royal Marine wouldn't be allowed to wear the beard he had
    C) just to rub it in - that he was currently wanted for fraud and deception, had been disowned by his his family for stealing money from them and was living in a Youth Hostel.

For some reason the woman he was with dumped him. AND he didn't buy me a pint...
    Some people are sore losers.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Excellent story. What drives people like that?

I used sometimes pal around with a guy. Loved the:m:. Always interested in finding some for people. You know, freebies.

Also loved to steal things. And then leave money, or pay people back with other shit (probably stolen from someone else) without really mentioning having taken items previously.

My brother had a bunch of missing cds. Guy shows up about a week later, gives him a "gift" t-shirt of one of his favorite metal bands. Always some awkward silence. You knew, but for some reason, shit was rarely said.

Also had a habit of leaving personal items in people's houses or cars, presumably as some collateral excuse to come back at a later date and retrieve it, opening up more opportunities for cameraderie, pot smoking, drinking, etc. And maybe the chance to just mooch.

I think he got away with it, and some of his tall tales, simply because at the best of times, you could generally have a good time with him. He always did crazy things that mini-legends could be built around. Stupid stories.

Eventually though, he wore out his welcome with alot of people.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. M00se1989 Banned Banned

The pure sport of it all like Frank William Abagnale. (Some people think it is fun to lie without letting others in on the joke when playing the game of life. They think it may give them an advantage)

Running from the past instead of facing your proplems head on.

not enough antidepressants :m:

those are all factors to consider about habitual liars

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

How does a "shortage" of antidepressants contribute to lying?

9. M00se1989 Banned Banned

It completely depends on your definition of anti-depression.

If you love women, then when you around them you are happy usually or not depressed.

If playing tennis brings you joy, then that could be considered an antidepressant.

If you have fallen on hard times in a way, then a pill may be an anti-depressant.

But for the first topic which is women. A lie can be an aid in the effects of the antidepressant. And since it aids in the process it might could be an antidepressant in and of itself.

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Except that the term you used was "anti-depressants". So you didn't actually mean drugs, as is commonly understood by the term?

Arrant nonsense. Not being joyful does NOT equate to being depressed.

And since lies usually get found out then they tend to lead to further problems: which can be depressing. Your argument holds no water.

11. M00se1989 Banned Banned

no drugs are quantified as anything that has a psychological effect on our behavior as we move through time.
    I said playing tennis may equate to not being depressed if you enjoy the sport.

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Learn to read: I didn't attempt to define what drugs are, I simply pointed out the term "antidepressant" is usually regarded as meaning drugs.
    And why the extraneous wording "as we move through time"?
    (BTW, you don't think drugs have a physical effect?)

Which also invalidates your use earlier in referring to it as an antidepressant.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. M00se1989 Banned Banned

voluntary is to involuntary as flammable is to inflammable. Of course there is a physical effect the two are linked through the time in which they take hold to the time they exit the body or wear out of the mind.

The perception of joy comes from a person's own ability to find a state of peace within their own minds. Whatever makes them happy or chills the pains they face in reality. As we move through time our overall outlook on life changes at times. We go through ups and downs and hopefully land on the up side in the overall scheme..

For one to say, "I see the good in all life at all times I would immediately call a lier."

not to lower their spirit but only to see if I can "Test" them.

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

*** MOD NOTE ***
    Once again you have decide to post an incoherent ramble as opposed to either addressing the topic or answering questions asked,
    And, once again, you have chosen to post this particularly nonsensical phrase "voluntary is to involuntary as flammable is to inflammable". Which has also been questioned and not answered before.
    As before, further off-topic meaningless posts will result in a ban, this time for 3 days.

15. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

I don't know if I'm imagining it, but I think being a crackhead is linked with being a habitual lier. Usually people with chemical addictions are a little depressed, so maybe it is depression that causes poeple to be like that. With some people lieing is just to see what they can get out of people, er um...you know, game. I have some relatives that are bad with lieing... and stealing. The same way too, kind of paying you back later. Myself, I've always been pretty honest, though stealing is a bad habit of mine. Lately, I've actually been able to police myself up and give stuff back when i take it, but i still find myself taking things to see if I can, especially if it's a situation where I'm in plain sight but no one is paying any attention to me. Just to know i can do anything and the people around won't have any idea what it is feels so cool. I've been catching myself and giving thinngs back though.

hardcore.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I would have thought that crack addiction led to lying as a way of getting money for the next fix. As opposed to the depression itself.

- Personal note: I'm currently registered as suffering depression and, despite being a top fighter ace, the first man on Mars and filthy rich to boot, feel no compulsion to lie whatsoever.
    Seriously though, when you're depressed the "lies" (if any) are more likely to be along the lines of "I'm too busy to come visit you/ go to the pub or whatever" than lies as such. You mostly just want to avoid people...

17. smokinglizard Registered Senior Member

Sociopathy.

It's a fascinating and disturbing disorder. I've known sociopathy exists for many years but only recently discovered how common it is and exactly what makes a sociopath tick.

18. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

What the?

So......you jump and and flash your little blue crayon at people just because they define "antidepressant" a different way than you?

Ohhhh, look at you, a snippy Barney Fife with all the rage of a feisty midget.

What M00se1989, I think, is saying is that people can be a form of anti-depressant-- who hasn't read of Madamme Bovary's addiction to people?

Or the Josserands and the Vabre women of Zola's novel, devouring people with their hysterical need to be loved?

And doesn't the withered cynic come alive again during the holidays, surrounded by family?

What, you want some cheeky wikipedia link with a logorrhea of useless words to quantify an opinion??.

You're the reason why its always the insignificant little nobodies one has to fear most in a crowd.

On topic:

As for lying, its as common as defecating and just as cathartic.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I had moved to a tiny New England town with my family many years ago, and I didn't know anyone. I went for a walk along the abandoned railroad tracks behind our new house. Under a bridge I met this guy who told me he had just gotten out of prison. We smoked a joint, and it turned out that he and a friend of his had broken into someone's vacation house near the lake and stolen everything over the course of a week. All the furniture, TV, stereo, video games, everything, and furnished their apartment with it. I think that part was true, but he was a habitual liar and thief. He would catch a ride to the grocery store and come out with a couple packs of smokes (stolen). He would do that every couple days or so. He did know a lot of people and we went to some good parties, but one time my parents went on vacation and he wouldn't leave my house, just watched Christine over and over. I finally got a real job and moved out. The last I heard he violated parole and went back to jail.

20. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Spidergoat:
    That story true?

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yup. There was really nothing to do in that town.

22. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

How do you know he's really in jail?

You only 'heard' he is.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm sure he's out by now. Jail in that state means you get to go logging and the state sells the firewood, it's not that bad. Of course, I'm a habitual liar too, but everything I say is a lie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.