Genes = determinism?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Light Travelling, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

I keep thinking about this comment from “Homosexuality vs Evolution” thread. I think it deserves a thread of its own.

If mental function is a product of genes, then is that not determinism? If genes control how we think do they not control what we think – or at least a lot more then we normally believe. May we are predetermined to the philosophies, ideals and social systems that we believe we have chosen of our own free will and use of powers of reason?

So , is there evidence for or against genes controlling mental function?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Biology is destiny. There is definitely something to what you're saying. As a parent, I can tell you that babies have a distinct personality from the day they're born.

I don't think this means we don't have free will, but we most definitely are born with certain tendencies and capabilities. Within the context of those potentials, we can choose which tendencies to encourage and which to suppress.

Of course, this requires discipline and will power. The path of least resistance is to just go with the flow and do what comes naturally.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Old question. Good one, but kind of tired. At least, I am.
    Sometimes it seems like a futile exercise with people constantly trying to fit every little quirk in the human psyche into a neat biological/evolutionary box.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Biology is potential, environment is destiny. Whats the difference between a Lhasa Apso and a Dalmatian? If you share 60% of your genes with a banana does this mean you are a potential fruitcake?

8. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I'm a fruitcake sometimes.