How does the human intelligence grow or decline?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Shadow1, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

how does the intelligence of each indivudual reach to how it is now for that individual. i mean, what makes the person more intelligent, or less intelligent, and what define the IQ?
    and the IQ test, are they always true? because, some times, in some sites, you get 120 for example, means high average intelligence, while in other sites it tells you 100, or others 130, what defines that? and what makes that intelligence level?
    can people increase their intelligence? how?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Doreen Valued Senior Member

One can for example go from dog kinds of intelligence to cat kinds. A dog is willing to try a lot of things, especially for treats. They can learn tricks, find out what is buried in the compost heap, etc. Cats on the other hand are a less likely to learn in these ways and despite their reputation for being curious, they will never, like a dog, try to see what happens when you bite the wheel of a moving car.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

That just shows that cats are more intelligent. They work it out in their heads instead of having to do the experiment.
    Dogs are empiricists, cats are theorists.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I don't think it's that simple. I am not claiming that cats know what would happen, but they are more conservative. I mean think of the things they would never learn because it would offend their dignity. A sapient canine species would make much better geologists, chemists, engineers....they'd get their paws dirty. One could make the case that cats are wiser. They have some good cautious heurisitics. On the other hand, I think they can learn less due to temperment.

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

:worship:

Actually I agree.
    My sister's coffee table has a groove on the underside because her cat hasn't learnt - in sixteen years - that he's too tall to actually walk under it without banging his head. He always takes the same route under table and ALWAYS hits the same spot. Not that one example makes the case, but yeah, a dog will get its paws dirty in the pursuit of... whatever it is a dog's doing when it gets its paws dirty.

10. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

i always ahd cats, and here's a way so they don't make their lefts everywhere, ifit did it somewhere, in everywhere, you take it to that place, where it maked it's lefts things(poo and ..) you make it smell it, and hitt it not very hard on it's head, then, take her/him, or it, to the spot where it should make it's buisness, in the garden, or in bucket with sand or something, and try it 3-4 times, and after that, before that cat think of leaving he's lefts anywhere, he'll think twice becuase he'll be hitted if he did it anywhere,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

It is not true that cats cannot learn. They can even be taught circus tricks, with a good trainer. However, the techniques have to be modified for cats.

If you want a good cat, try a cheetah. This species, if raised from a kitten, will respond to you like a dog, and will obey commands. Not only beautiful, but responsive. Pity they are endangered....

12. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

yeah true, and cats are curious too, but always think twice when it comes about something they don't know, i have cats, and they always love to discover, if i ever bringed new thing in home, they always go see what is that.
    and they always try to see what happenn, if and if, but they thik twice, they are wiser than dogs