Odd turn ons

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by jpappl, Jul 29, 2010.

1. jpappl Valued Senior Member

It's very interesting how people have what some might consider a weird fetish.

When I look at something like BDSM. The idea of being dominated or dominating and physically and maybe painfully abused most would consider odd.

Where did this come from ? Is it just boredom or is it say a weird twist that our mind plays on our violent history.

IOW, is it in us from hundreds of thousands of years of violence against each other and then in some it comes out in a sexual manner ?

Being whipped for example. Or tied up in bondage. These are things that might happen to someone in a torture room. Did the torture or maybe sexual torture of a distant relative set off a chain reaction to others that come out sexually.

I have some odd ones myself and although they don't really make sense to me I have an idea where they started and why they are so powerfull.

I have also been suprised at times to being aroused at something that if you asked me beforehand if it was a turn on I would have said hell no.

I am curious as to how some of these form. For example.

Why do some women have rape fantasies ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I think fetishes mostly have their roots in a person's upbringing. At some point, they have made a strange connection between sex and something else - hence bondage, foot fetishes, etc. Often I think it is because they have been told that something is "naughty" in connection with sex and the fetish object/activity.

As for rape fantasies, I don't imagine that many of those fantasies involve physical pain and abuse, but rather just being taken assertively by a strong man. In other words, it's fantasy rape, not at all like the reality.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Doreen Valued Senior Member

clogs, open back.....

I think Freud would have gotten this one right, at least in my case.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

You have a fetish for Dutchmen?
    Enmos!!

That would be...?
    Opened with a cat 'o nine tails? :shrug:

Keep taking the medication.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

My last g/f had a "thing" about that and I did some checking... Apparently it stems (in a lot cases at least) from wishing to be considered so desirable/ attractive that the guy can't control himself, rather than actually being raped, which would tie in with your assessment.

8. Doreen Valued Senior Member

No, clogs. And it doesn't matter who is wearing them.

Think about the clog and the foot. You're an engineer.

Is there medication for a clog turn on? Amazing the orphan drugs pharmaceutical companies will invest in.

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ah.
    Pfft, engineers don't go in much for "shoe terminology", hence the confusion. (And do NOT mention that to S.A.M., or I'm in trouble).

You know what I meant.

10. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Terminology?!

a clog...

http://www.cloghouse.com/shop/images/301.jpg

You (engineer) guys really have to get out more. Picture a foot, dare I utter it, a bare one, entering the clog.

yeah, but it was so goofy, I responded that way.

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Yes, when I read "open back" I thought of a back (i.e. the dorsal area of the body) rather than "open-backed" in connection with shoes.
    Now, if you were talking shoulder blades or spines...

That would be silly.
    Outdoor conditions are far too variable and unamenable to reliable prediction, and getting out would interfere with doing important geeky stuff.

12. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Wow, you must have really thought I was a sick puppy. People wearing clogs who have been dorsallly eviserated or something. I understand the medication suggestion more now.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/MrCreak/DSCF1689.jpg
    You seem to be engaging in geeky stuff just fine outdoors.

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Hence my cat o' nine tails question.
    And what makes you think I don't think you're a sick puppy anyway?

Hey! It's a twice a year thing. If they were sensible enough to hold the show at my place (indoors) I wouldn't have to go out. But I had to leave my PC behind which meant lack of calculations...

14. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I suppose most everyone in black ops is a sick puppy. I mean, hypothetically. Not referring to myself.

It's just you look relaxed. Not scurrying to a workbench under fluourescent lights.

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I think I was pointing out some interesting technical aspect of an aircraft to my (nailed-down*) sister.

* Nailed-down since, having grown up listening to my "pointing out technical aspects" she has a habit of finding something "just over there" she pretends to be more interested in if she isn't fixed in place.

16. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure it's quite that simple, most of us are told lots of things are "naughty" when it comes to sex, but that doesn't mean all of those things turn us on. It'd be interesting to know why we like some but not others.

17. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Since you appear to be rather large, strong fellow, I think I will avoid mentioning how 'nailed down sister' sounds to American ears in a thread on odd turn ons.

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Some humans are deeply demented and perverted and must do things to others or themselves to satisfy that screwed up part of them. Torturing others to "get off" isn't a very "normal" way to have the enjoyment of a sexual relationship with anyone.

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ouch and touché.
    Now you've pointed it out I see what you mean...

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Better quit while you're ahead, Dywy :facepalm:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

That's a highly subjective assessment.

Torturing wasn't discussed, or even mentioned.
    BDSM is consensual (AFAIK), so it wouldn't actually constitute torture.
    And I'd bet I could find quite a few people who'd claim that BDSM is entirely "normal" - for them.
    I.e. you'd have a very hard time defining exactly what is "normal" as far as sexual activities/ proclivities are concerned.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Sadomasochism refers to the physical aspects of BDSM. Sadism describes sexual pleasure derived by inflicting pain, degradation, or humiliation on another person. On the other hand, the masochist enjoys being bound, spanked or suffering within the consensual scenario.

WIKI

If that isn't torture then I guess I'd better learn what is.

23. Bells Staff Member

Torture involves a lack of consent with the direct intent to cause harm - where one finds pleasure and the other finds pain and no pleasure.

With BDSM, both parties get some joy out of it, both parties know what they can and cannot do (as in they know the limits of what they are doing to each other) and most importantly, and this is the defining thing that distinguishes it from torture - consent.

There is nothing abnormal about people enjoying that kind of violence during sex. Just as there is nothing abnormal if you do not enjoy that kind of thing during sex. To each their own.