100K Indians die on the roads per year

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Syzygys, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That's 0.00847% of the population for India, 0.01356% of the population for the USA, and 0.00681% of the population of China.
    So the USA comes off worst if you look at it like that..
    Of course there are a lot more variables to take into account. I reckon the USA has, for instance, a much higher percentage of people that own cars than China and India.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

There are less cars in India per capita although our population density is much worse [five times the US population in one fifth or one fourth of the space]

Not to mention our restrained driving skills - Mumbai is the city with the most restrained driving [no, really] which looks somewhat like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

I wouldn't dare drive in Calcutta.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

What's this thread about?

Knowing nothing factual, here's my theory why India would have a high human road kill. Please note that what follows is rubbish.

High density population.
    Belief in immediate rebirth.
    Animals on the road.
    Sam on the Road.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, let me make it clearer because there can be a few issues here:

1. Bad driving. (if you actually watched the video)

2. The high cost of travel, what is perfectly acceptable for every society. (as compared to let's say capital punishment, when we cry about a few 100s guys, or terrorist actions when again, the loss is usually much less)

3. Comparison of different societies road accident statistics. Why are they different and how could it be lowered?

4. The cost (as in lifes) of living in modern society globally looking at the question.

Feel free to address any or all of these topics in this thread.

One of the main issue here is that if I extrapolate the stats from the 3 quoted countries, my bet is that about 400K people die globally just due to getting out of the house every morning and going to places. That seems to be a huge number itself compared to small natural disasters, but the Earth population makes it up in LESS then 3 days!!! Now as the population increases, it is safe to say that road deaths will also increase, and it is probably not a stretch that we lose more humans to traveling then to wars.

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I see 2 reasons for that:

1. High speed driving, specially under the influence. I bet Indians have much less opportunity to speed up than Americans.

2. When people drive in a "lawless" country, they are more careful, because they know that it is "the might is right" and if they don't watch out, they can get killed easily. When driving in a society where roadrules are actually observed and mostly obeyed, people trust other drivers more, and they relax more.

The comparison should be by traveled miles/person/death. That way the American statistic can be way better, because Americans drive more than Indians...

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So it hardly makes a dent in the human population.
    Here's a thought.. What if no one would die from road accidents, war, etc anymore?

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'd say thats very good driving, not many people can ride a motorcycle lying down while chatting and texting on a phone or drive a car on a major road and take a movie of the guy [riding the motorcycle and texting at the same time]

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

We would be colonizing other planets by now.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Somehow I don't think so

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Yes, in an Evel Knievel way. It works 9 out of 10 times, and when it doesn't you break a few bones.

Not to mention he depends on other drivers avoiding him, not just on his own skills....

We would be way more overpopulated, and eventually nature would correct it in a very drastic way. (WW3 or a worldwide epidemic)

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Four times the population (1.2B vs. 300M) in one third the space (3.2M sqkm vs. 9.8M). But our population density is extremely low: 32/sqkm. At 360, India is still only ranked at #31. Of course #1-8 are tiny city-states like Monaco (43,000) and Singapore (18,000) and tiny islands like Malta (3,400), but your neighbor Bangladesh is #9 at 2,900. Now that's crowded! Lebanon and the Netherlands come in at 1,000!

16. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

17. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

That's insane! But there was some logic to the madness. Why don't they have traffic signals? You know, green lights, red lights.

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the stats, but you missed the whole point of the thread. Smoking can be avoided, it is a voluntary action, but travelings can not be. It is part of society and modern life and the whole point is that we got used to accident deaths and accept them as the cost of doing business...

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Road accidents are one of the leading causes of death all over the world. Even in Africa, where nobody can afford a car, and even in Iraq, where people are shooting each other.

It's been argued that the main reason there are so many road accidents in the Third World is that nobody can afford to get glasses, so even taxi and bus drivers can't see where they're going.

But someone is doing something about that. This article in Scientific American tells of a man who has invented lenses that are user-configurable because they use oil for refraction instead of solid material that has to be cut to a prescription. You adjust the shape of the lenses until you can see, and then you set them that way. They cost about ten dollars and you don't need an optometrist. Somebody like Bill Gates or Warren Buffett could buy a pair for everybody who needs them, including shipping and administrative costs, by using a small part of his charity budget for about ten years.

This is also one of the reasons that so many people there can't read!

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Come on Fraggle, the eyeglasses thing is crap. They know very well what they are doing, they CHOOSE to do so, not accidentally end up being hurt, it is a direct conclusion of not following the rules.

And by the way there are MORE death per capita in the US, so your whole conclusion is flawed on an incorrect premise...

Now after doing a quick count, I don't believe 1 million of global deaths by road accidents. China, India and the USA adds up to 245K and they are about 1/3rd of the Earth population and less developed countries have less death, so a 600-800K is a better guess for the worldwide number.

21. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Guess all you like Syzygys. The figure of 1,170,000 road deaths in 1998 came from official statistics, not some wild guess.

22. NO1 I Am DARKNESS Registered Senior Member

There is No Disipline on Indian roadways. Sometimes a local traffic cop at a busy intersection. But mostly a free-for-all

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Having the cop is usually a bigger hindrance than a help. At least in my experience