Creativity is akin to insanity say scientists who have been studying how the mind wks

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by common_sense_seeker, Jul 12, 2010.

1. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Creative minds 'mimic schizophrenia'
    Wowza! Are you at potential risk akin to myself??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

What, you think there's some risk of you being creative?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Although I do find this quote particularly inept.
    If, as the article says,
    and
    So this guy wants to redefine good mental health as "seeing the world fractured", and being psychotic would be reclassified as "in good mental health"?
    Creative people, generally, aren't generally seen as mentally ill, but some mentally ill are seen as creative.

And I particularly think this is incorrect on so many levels:
    Creativity isn't about "suspending disbelief", it's seeing connections.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Erica Amelia Smith, An Address as to the Nature of the “Proper” Uses of Technology

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I believe that creative humans come in many forms, shapes , mental conditions and colors. Therefor humans could have mental problems and be very creative just as there are many humans who are "stable" and are just as creative. One does not be mentally challenged to become a genius nor visa versa.

8. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

That was pretty much what I wrote in my psychology report, but with esp instead of creativity, but they could also be the same in many ways.

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yeah I guess the fundamental difference between creativity and madness, is that creative people know their imagination is not real.

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

The study mentioned in the link would indicate otherwise. Your belief doesn't quite count as evidence.

The "therefore" isn't necessarily a "therefore".

"Mentally challenged" is not quite the same as "mentally ill".

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Dywyddyr,
    An interesting artistic interpretation on the subject of "outside the box" would probably come from Escher, while indeed he could think outside the realm of just standard perception, unfortunately his works were always limited by the boundary of the very canvass he worked on, which suggest there was only so far creativity could go without stagnating to conformity.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Instead they know it as a potential paint pallet for emulating the world or the parts of the world that interest them.

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Hmm, depends on what you mean by "real". The connections they see are real (or at least as real as any other) I'd suggest. And I'd also argue (probably quite forcefully!) that a creative person does their best to make their imaginings "real": to show other people what they see and how they see it.
    Thinking (briefly, it's just occurred to me), maybe that's a factor in the alienation that "mad people" have, as compared with the merely creative - the creative can show others the connections/ results. The "mad" can't and that would cause some frustration...

I dunno. I can see what you're saying but (again this is an off-the cuff response) maybe the creative choose a medium to work in because that's the one that best helps them express what they see. And it would put some boundaries on their creativity, I'm not sure about "stagnating" but at some point they will (probably) arrive at the limits of that medium. And then the choice is to extend those limits, switch media or get increasingly frustrated at those limits.

@ Doreen: yes I know I'm using the term "mad" extremely loosely and inaccurately. But it's an effective shorthand. You can pick on me later.

14. stratos Banned Banned

Pleasing.

Comme de longs échos qui de loin se confondent
    Dans une ténébreuse et profonde unité

('Correspondances' by Baudelaire)

15. kmguru Staff Member

Creativity is akin to insanity...

Only if you consider "insanity" as the abnormal model of the brain - that is the model holds true only with few people. Scans do not tell how the information is processed just the activity of the region.

16. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

lol. I found the article spot on.

17. JuRtLy The JuRtLy Registered Senior Member

From my experiences. I think the craziest are those without creativity! If we hold any power in this entire universe, its to create! Limits are set within ourselves by our interpretation of the materials around us.

As for this article, it makes me ask if anyone knows the true borderline of insanity? Or really, what's the standard?

I define myself as insane, because I feel I do not belong where I am in the universe as a whole (dimensions included). Is that a normal thing within us? Or Does that coin me as insane?

Aarr aaar!!!

18. Idol Registered Member

Insanity is a discriminitory category. This correlation is nothing worth as long we think that creativity has a causal relation to an arbitrary construction of mental extraordinary order. Of course we will find a stronger bias to imagination and creative capability if we correlate this with people who hear voices because they can construct a higher dimensional reality. The problem is that creativity is misleadingly understood as the forming of (pre-dominantly) non-existent things but creativity is the reconstruction of reality and this is what we can learn from schizophrenics as they walk on the border to the explicable and researched outer (and inner) world.

Schizophrenics have a bias to hypothize that there is something out there what we don´t know and that will be the advance of sciences. Since to diagnostics of schizophrenia in Germany belongs the tendency to have "a will to save the world", I really doubt that sanity and medicine are terms through which we can find an objective and fair world. Of course, the explanation of the phenomenom the thread-starter wrote about is that the gene of schizophrenic has been combined through evolution with a gene which privileges creativity. But the truth is, both belong together and don´t cause any disease which would be a fault in evolutionary selection which does not exist.

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

In as much as categorisation itself is discrimantory.

No, there is no "of course" about it. And neither are there "higher dimensional realities".

Speculation.

Far from it being "the truth" this is what the thread is about. Is it the truth or is there some other correlation?
    And your final comment "evolutionary selection which does not exist" also requires supporting.

20. Idol Registered Member

Any fault in evolution should not exist, sorry. In your first point we´ll come together, but higher dimensions exist mathematically and can of course not be photographed as this just can be the 3rd dim, or 4th-motion dim. But that´s another topic. I don´t even believe easily in these dimensions but what I meant was that psychotics do construct a higher levelled reality and even if this is by the assumption of further spheres and entities which are not researched. And of course is there a of course if we correlate creativity with creativity and finding this as to be positive as there is all about definitions.

21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

What?

Yes, mathematically. Not otherwise.

No. Speculation.
    The existence of multiple (higher) dimensions mathematically does NOT mean there are "higher levels of reality".

This is veering into nonsense.

Um, "correlate creativity with creativity"? :shrug:

22. Idol Registered Member

I correlate you with: you want to falsify and say there is a coefficient of 1. But that´s endless to struggle against.

What is and what is not is not a question you (one) can answer. (A problem of philosohie). Creativity finally can evolve the non-existing. Any problem?

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Could please make that a comprehensible sentence?
    Thanks.

Untrue.

For some things, certainly. For others, certainly not.